Best Rear Hub Drive

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Heard mixed reports on Cyclotricity on the web but see they are based in the UK.

Anyone with experience using their hub motors? How do they stack up against Bafang, Woosh, eZee etc?

D

Deleted member 4366

They're big heavy direct drive motors. Good for constant high speed on flat roads. Very smooth and quiet. Not so good at pulling heavyweights up steep hills ubless you put a lot of power through them, which means a big heavy expensive battery and a big controller.

Reactions: Andy88

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
They're big heavy direct drive motors. Good for constant high speed on flat roads. Very smooth and quiet. Not so good at pulling heavyweights up steep hills ubless you put a lot of power through them, which means a big heavy expensive battery and a big controller.
Which rear hub motor 250w gets your vote dave?

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
To preempt , for what ?! Speed and torque for starters are a trade off any motor generally
Good input. To pull my overweight frame at 15.5 mph under throttle only as needed along fairly flat roads and the odd small inclines.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Andy, you will only need a throttle if you have such a serious disability that pedalling is physically demanding in the extreme.

If you are only heavy and very unfit, (like many members here), you will manage perfectly well on any decent legal EAPC. If, on occasions, you become so knackered that you need to stop, just stop! What's the rush? If you really need something whereby you can just sit on a saddle and be pulled along, get some decent prescription specs, do CBT and get a nice little m/c or scooter - you might find that's a cheaper route too, judging by the price of some of the current crop of EAPCs.

Tom

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
You are right Tom, I'm not comfortable going above the legal 250w limit.

Im so far into the EAPC I don't want to stop, so many advantages over a moped, cycle tracks, park anywhere, take on the train etc.

The major issue is all the different 250w options and variations, bit like sticking the tail on the donkey.

Im sure I can pedal a bit and might even grow to like it :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
To much choice to decide, decide your budget and bike style. A sub or 1k bike will do the same as a 2 or 3 k bike for cheaper out lay. By far one of the best budget buys is the Big Bear with a powerful Bafang BPM up to 20/21 mph on the flat and a very good hill climber.
For a bit more money Oxygen bikes are worth a look with the rear Bafang CST, if the kit on their bikes is similar or the sme as the Oxydrive kits available then another sure footed powerful hub and electric components. Both will eat the road up and deal with inclines.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
To much choice to decide, decide your budget and bike style. A sub or 1k bike will do the same as a 2 or 3 k bike for cheaper out lay. By far one of the best budget buys is the Big Bear with a powerful Bafang BPM up to 20/21 mph on the flat and a very good hill climber.
For a bit more money Oxygen bikes are worth a look with the rear Bafang CST, if the kit on their bikes is similar or the sme as the Oxydrive kits available then another sure footed powerful hub and electric components. Both will eat the road up and deal with inclines.
Thanks, woosh bringing out a new model soon, about the same time as i get back to the uk. What do you think?
WOOSH CRUISER

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Andy, I just noticed now your post, thank you for mentioning the Crusa.
The Crusa is the Karoo's other half, with matching 13AH battery, same Lishui 15A controller and same graphics.
The motor is Bafang SWX01 on 165mm dropout. I have seen your query about fitting an IGH to the Crusa, I am sorry to say that we don't have IGHs for 165mm dropout. We can fit a front Bafang BPM if you require.
The Crusa is at sea at the moment, we could have them sooner but most of us need a good break at Christmas, so we delayed it until the first week after the New Year.
The price will the same compared to the other half, the Karoo.
£799 including delivery.
For those who like to have 2-year warranty instead of 1-year, please note that you can opt for it at the time of purchase.

D

Deleted member 4366

Which rear hub motor 250w gets your vote dave?

To pull my overweight frame at 15.5 mph under throttle only as needed along fairly flat roads and the odd small inclines.
Bafang BPM or Bafang CST. You need a 20 amp controller and battery at least 14Ah. If you're going to fit a kit with a front motor, you should only use steel forks for one of those.

The Woosh Big Bear is the only "250w" bike that has the BPM motor and a 20 amp controller. There's a Volt bike that uses the CST motor, but I'm not sure what controller it has. They used to call it 500w, so it might be OK:

http://www.voltbikes.co.uk/pulse-x-hybrid-electric-bike.php

I built a bike for a heavy guy, who only had one leg. I used the 500w CST motor and a 28 amp 48v controller. The battery was a custom 18Ah 48v one. He didn't care about the legality because they'd already taken his driving licence off him because of his poor eye-sight. The poor guy had diabetes, which was the root of all his ill health.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Hi Andy, I just noticed now your post, thank you for mentioning the Crusa.
The Crusa is the Karoo's other half, with matching 13AH battery, same Lishui 15A controller and same graphics.
The motor is Bafang SWX01 on 165mm dropout. I have seen your query about fitting an IGH to the Crusa, I am sorry to say that we don't have IGHs for 165mm dropout. We can fit a front Bafang BPM if you require.
The Crusa is at sea at the moment, we could have them sooner but most of us need a good break at Christmas, so we delayed it until the first week after the New Year.
The price will the same compared to the other half, the Karoo.
£799 including delivery.
For those who like to have 2-year warranty instead of 1-year, please note that you can opt for it at the time of purchase.
Thanks, how much total price on Crusa to add bpm and 20A controller?

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Bafang BPM or Bafang CST. You need a 20 amp controller and battery at least 14Ah. If you're going to fit a kit with a front motor, you should only use steel forks for one of those.

The Woosh Big Bear is the only "250w" bike that has the BPM motor and a 20 amp controller. There's a Volt bike that uses the CST motor, but I'm not sure what controller it has. They used to call it 500w, so it might be OK:

http://www.voltbikes.co.uk/pulse-x-hybrid-electric-bike.php

I built a bike for a heavy guy, who only had one leg. I used the 500w CST motor and a 28 amp 48v controller. The battery was a custom 18Ah 48v one. He didn't care about the legality because they'd already taken his driving licence off him because of his poor eye-sight. The poor guy had diabetes, which was the root of all his ill health.
Thanks you are very helpful. Logic tells me to just buy the woosh bb off the shelf and change a few bits the other side of me says buy a good brand second hand bike and stick a BBS in it but would need to avoid dramas and being held to ransom on the fitting side.

Woosh got back to me and said they can put the BPM in their new incarnation the Crusa, which is taken from Electra Townie. Pic of converted townie, I like the riding position.

Advertisers