bicycle for people with dwarfism

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Something that I had really never thought about. But as soon as I did, it became obvious why there are problems to overcome.

‘You can’t just lop bits off the bike’: UK firm debuts bicycle for people with dwarfism
Islabikes to mass-produce model specifically for adults with achondroplasia, after working with campaign group

The company's attitude also comes across well:

Goodall said he hoped that with the bikes for people with dwarfism the company would at least break even, but that even if it did not, the project was worthwhile.

Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Something that I had really never thought about. But as soon as I did, it became obvious why there are problems to overcome.

‘You can’t just lop bits off the bike’: UK firm debuts bicycle for people with dwarfism
Islabikes to mass-produce model specifically for adults with achondroplasia, after working with campaign group

The company's attitude also comes across well:

Goodall said he hoped that with the bikes for people with dwarfism the company would at least break even, but that even if it did not, the project was worthwhile.
Good to see this sort of consideration for a minority group, and not treating them as disabled.

They could perform well in any cycling terms with very short cranks which suit high cadences. Typical bike cranks are 175mm, but much shorter ones of 100mm have been use in some cycle racing. One of our the bicycle desgners, Mike Burrows, swears by them and often races his "Ratracer" recumbent with 100mm cranks:

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

Advertisers