Big Bear - Motor Gone?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
lastly, connect the brake sensors. On the controller side, you have two identical grey/black 2-pin JST connectors:

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm working it all out now and will go back to the bike in the morning.
Andy has gone home. I usually do out of hours support when the office is closed.
Do take one step at a time, it's easier to master the wiring that way.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe

stever1957

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2018
Lake, Isle of Wight
Mornin' all.

Well red/black/blue turned out to be pedelec.

It connects to red/black/blue at the controller.

Red/black/white is the only one left, so that must be speed sensor, and the only one left at the controller for it to connect to is red/blue yellow.

Trouble is now I get pedal assist again, but for only one half turn of the pedals, then nothing for the other half turn. This repeats over and over.

I also have no speedometer.

I've checked all connections ad nauseam.

I've cleaned the magnet wheel and the sensor.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Let's fix first the pedal sensor.
Check that the magnet disc still has all its magnets and it turns correctly together with the cranks.
Check that the LED on the pedal sensor flashes correctly when you turn the cranks.
If the problem persists, can you email support@wooshbikes.co.uk some closeup pictures of the pedal sensor and the magnet disc, and also of the old controller so I can identify it? I can access the support mailbox.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Fixing things is easier if you and I are on the same page. Let's fix first the pedal sensor, when that works, then sort out the speed sensor. Leave the speed sensor unplugged. I need you to follow the suggested steps. There is a logic in what I suggested.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the main thing in troubleshooting anything is to keep the number of variables as small as possible. Let's sort out the pedal sensor first and leave the speed sensor disconnected for the moment.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I'd bet that you have the speed sensor in the wrong sequence. Disconnect it and see if the bike works properly. You must use a meter set to continuity test to determine e which of the red, blue and yellow wires is ground.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Which means I'll have to take the controller and all of that spaghetti out again to disconnect it.

Is it really necessary?
You shouldn't have put it all back together until it was working properly. Do one connector at a time. Use a meter to determine the connection sequence. Use logic. Test. Just putting random connectors together because they fit will only get you into trouble.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
We know you have a working LCD, controller, throttle and trunk cable.
We know you still have problems with the pedal sensor and the speed sensor.

Follow these steps:

1. remove the battery.
2. undo the 4 screws, remove the cover of the controller compartment which has the battery connector on it.
3. pull the controller out of its compartment, put it on top of the controller box or pull it out sufficiently so you can see everything easily.
4. Slide the battery back half way so it still sits safely in its rack, then connect the battery connnector on the cover of the controller compartment to the battery.
Now you have the electrics connected and you can see everything easily.

Next steps:

5. Unplug the speed sensor and the brake sensor, leave the pedal sensor connected.
6. Test the pedelec function.

If that's working, next steps:
7. connect the brake sensor and test

8. Connect the speed sensor and test

9. disconnect the cover of the controller compartment from the battery
10. Reinstall the cover of the controller compartment.
11. Reinstall the battery.

stever1957

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2018
Lake, Isle of Wight
We know you have a working LCD, controller, throttle and trunk cable.
We know you still have problems with the pedal sensor and the speed sensor.

Follow these steps:

1. remove the battery.
2. undo the 4 screws, remove the cover of the controller compartment which has the battery connector on it.
3. pull the controller out of its compartment, put it on top of the controller box or pull it out sufficiently so you can see everything easily.
4. Slide the battery back half way so it still sits safely in its rack, then connect the battery connnector on the cover of the controller compartment to the battery.
Now you have the electrics connected and you can see everything easily.

Next steps:

5. Unplug the speed sensor and the brake sensor, leave the pedal sensor connected.
6. Test the pedelec function.

7. connect the brake sensor and test

8. Connect the speed sensor and test

9. disconnect the cover of the controller compartment from the battery
10. Reinstall the cover of the controller compartment.
11. Reinstall the battery.
Thanks very much, Woosh.

I'll go through that sequence after this cup of tea (or tomorrow, if I'm too knackered).

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Right.
speed sensor disconnected.
Pedal assist working like a dream
This is a result, as far as I'm concerned.
now we need some pictures of the speed sensor's connector on the wheel side so we can match them with the wires and connector on the controller side.
If you can't post the picture here, email pictures to support@wooshbikes.co.uk, I can repost them on this thread.

Advertisers