Bike cover for when on towball rack

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
my Bike is getting lots of roadspray from the car. Any suggestion for a lightweight cover. It would have to be easy to fit (Velcro?) or I would probably not use it when I should
Mike

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
If your bike has a Bosch motor, you can buy a neoprene motor cover which keeps water, grit etc out of the important bits.
I have seen bike covers on motor homes but never on a car. You could look on a motor home website to see what’s available..... however you could always buy a Karcher OC3 Portable Cleaner.... it’s got an integral reservoir and fairly low pressure which is ideal for washing off your bike while still on the rack.

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
I put an oxford motorcycle cover over ours this year for a trip up North...It was like a BALLON no matter how many bungees I put on....just fit the covers as described on the previous posts and then hose it off on arrival...I use the water top up facility in petrol stations now..( usually combined with the car vac ) and put my finger over the end to get a good jet etc...

• Agree
Reactions: oriteroom

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Agree with stumpy140. Waste of time trying to cover. I had a cover specially made for two bikes on a Thule towbar rack. Was made of the material used for boat covers. Two disadvantages, billowed like mad, the drag on the car noticeable, and the road grime in the wet just got up underneath. I never carry the bikes on towbar rack if rain threatens, grime gets into everything. Firmly believe our bikes would not have lasted 10 years and covered 17k miles each if I'd carried them on the car in the rain. When going on holiday, I hire a VW transporter van, keeps 'em dry and I get to drive a VW. GREAT. Would like one, but trouble getting it through committee. (Mrs O) :). Can't argue with the chairperson that you can get LOT of van hires for the costs of buying etc.... Even suggestions of "look how much shopping you can carry"... fails to sway the chairperson

Last edited:
Reactions: D C

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Twenty years back I used to travel 360 mainly fast road miles with two bikes (non electric in those days) on a tow ball rack and found that the air turbulence sucked grease/oil out of the none sealed bearings. This only happened at high speed so solved by buying two sets of bikes:)
Dave.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
thanks guys. Bit worrying - never thought about oil and grease disappearing. Intend to ride right through winter so I can't see how I can avoid carring them in the rain. I will look into these neoprene covers (there's one on the suntour seat suspension which is brilliant
Mike

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
It's all down to cause and effect.
The majority of road dirt comes from the rear wheels forward motion and air turbulence.
Look into fitting deeper mud flaps and even make your own so they drop from the bodywork inboard of the wheels, another option is to make a full width rubber deflector fitted under the rear bumper - a bit truckish but will work.

Advertisers