Bike too long to mount on a carrier?

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
Just checking. The length of my bike is such that, if I mount it on a bike carrier fixed to my tow bar, its too "wide" for the car. i.e. extends a bit on either side of the car. Clearly something to be very aware of when traveling but, more importantly, I was wondering whether its actually legal? I don't want to get stopped by the police!

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Just checking. The length of my bike is such that, if I mount it on a bike carrier fixed to my tow bar, its too "wide" for the car. i.e. extends a bit on either side of the car. Clearly something to be very aware of when traveling but, more importantly, I was wondering whether its actually legal? I don't want to get stopped by the police!
Yes it's legal!! You mission now is just not to hit things ;-)

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
Yes it's legal!! You mission now is just not to hit things ;-)
Indeed! Not so much not hitting things more REMEMBERING not to hit things. I well remember having the kids bikes on one of those racks that lie across the back of the car, reversing in the rain and burning the rear wiper motor out when it kicked in automatically and the wiper got caught in the cycle mount!

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Indeed! Not so much not hitting things more REMEMBERING not to hit things. I well remember having the kids bikes on one of those racks that lie across the back of the car, reversing in the rain and burning the rear wiper motor out when it kicked in automatically and the wiper got caught in the cycle mount!
Oh gosh -sorry I thought you meant the latter when you described the former. I don't know if it's legal.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
Oh gosh -sorry I thought you meant the latter when you described the former. I don't know if it's legal.
Now its me that is confused! The ones I'm looking at currently are the ones that fit on the tow bar. Looking at the length of my bike and comparing to the width of the car, the bike is going to be wider than the car, so some of the bike will stick out on either side of the car. (The other type - that I ruined a wiper with - was the type that straps on the back of a hatchback)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
which bike have you got?
How about removing the front wheel to shorten your bike?

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
That's part of my problem. I've just bought the Big Bear from Woosh. Great bike but removing the front wheel (with motor) isn't a realistic option. I have got one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CAR-TOWBAR-TOWBALL-MOUNTED-FOLDING-2-CYCLE-BIKE-CARRIER-/371268154567?hash=item56714e74c7

- but I'm damned if I can find a way of getting the Big Bear to fit on it (the frame's dimensions don't seem to fit securely whatever I try). I could explore a Heath Robinson option but I'm wary of taking risks with the bike falling off. In any case, it wouldn't avoid the "sticking out at the sides" potential issue. I suppose one of those Thule ones would solve the ease of carrying problem (but not the width issue) but I'm too much of a miser to lay out £150 or so.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Can you strap the handlebar with bungee cord to the middle of bike carrier frame to keep the wheel wrapped around the contour of the car?

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
I carry our 2 full-size bikes on a Thule tow-ball carrier and while they do stick out a bit on either side the overall width is less than the width of the external rear-view mirrors. However I suppose it depends on the width of your car - the smaller the car the greater the projection of the bikes. Mine is a Skoda Yeti and the width is not a problem but I could see the difficulty if the car was a mini or Fiat 500 or similar.

Jim

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
Can you strap the handlebar with bungee cord to the middle of bike carrier frame to keep the wheel wrapped around the contour of the car?
Good thinking. That should sort out one of the protruding sides, but not the other. My main problem now is even getting it onto the (cheap!) carrier I bought. I may have to "bite the bullet" and go for one of those Thule things but I don't think even one of those will solve the "sticking out" issue. I dont THINK my Big Bear is any longer than other bikes (or my Skoda Octavia any narrower) than most cars) so I can only assume some protruding either side isn't a legal problem.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
I carry our 2 full-size bikes on a Thule tow-ball carrier and while they do stick out a bit on either side the overall width is less than the width of the external rear-view mirrors. However I suppose it depends on the width of your car - the smaller the car the greater the projection of the bikes. Mine is a Skoda Yeti and the width is not a problem but I could see the difficulty if the car was a mini or Fiat 500 or similar.

Jim
Fair point. I should be comparing the width of the bike with the width of the car, including the wing mirrors. That should bring the difference down considerably, if not even eliminate it.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
I've had a look and the only legal requirements which people mention are a) that it's secure and b) that if the licence plate is obscured then you have a secondary licence plate tied to the bike. I honestly think you're absolutely fine. If your bike protrudes 3 or even 12 inches beyond each wing mirror I don't think plod will be remotely fussed. Honestly do a google image search of car bike rack and find me a single one where the wheels aren't considerably wider than the car.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
I've had a look and the only legal requirements which people mention are a) that it's secure and b) that if the licence plate is obscured then you have a secondary licence plate tied to the bike. I honestly think you're absolutely fine. If your bike protrudes 3 or even 12 inches beyond each wing mirror I don't think plod will be remotely fussed. Honestly do a google image search of car bike rack and find me a single one where the wheels aren't considerably wider than the car.
Thanks Jonathan for your help. I tend to agree. Clearly the main thing (given that the legal aspect isn't an issue) is to be aware of the extra width when maneuvering. Just need to find a reasonably priced but practical means of carrying it.

Reactions: jonathan75

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
Not that there is any real benefit to it, but I usually add a couple of those wrap around ankle/arm reflectors to each wheel.

Not a bad idea though - especially at night. Great pic - looks pretty much the same sort of length/size as I'll be carrying, so that has certainly put my mind at ease.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I have also witnessed the carnage left behind when several bikes and a rack fell off onto a motorway. With that in mind, I have two cable locks that run through the bike frame, rack, and then down through the towbar bracket. I'd never be able to live with myself if an incident such as the one that I witnessed, were to happen to me.

Reactions: Wingreen

Advertisers