bikemotion x35

RichC

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2020
struggling with Mahle to get anny detail. does annyonne know which componants are tied to the controller via the cambus??

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
struggling with Mahle to get anny detail. does annyonne know which componants are tied to the controller via the cambus??
You can tell by counting the wires. All LCDs use comms of some sort, though most can be bypassed, then the controller will use some defaults. If the battery is connected by two wires or two terminals, there aren't any comms. Likewise, the number of wires connected to the motor can give some clues, but I've never seen comms in a motor except when the controller is inside the motor.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
The dealer app PDF says:

> Remember that when there are components in the eBike with different e-SN the system generates ERROR 25, component protection error. This error will DISABLE THE FUNCTIONING OF THE EBIKE SYSTEM. You must make the e-SN assignment process so that all components have the same e-SN.

The examples in there are the (internal) controller and an iWoc handlebar button set.

However, I have swapped a wheel out and the second wheel still worked. I was pleasantly surprised.
It may be that there's not enough intelligence in the motor to be identificable (as VFR has said).

I'm also pretty sure the PAS / Hall effect sensor on the rear wheel doesn't have enough intelligence either, so that doesn't leave many other bits.

As a grumpy aside, it's not clear what advantages there are (to the customer) by having a closed system. Very Apple.

Last edited:

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
You can tell by counting the wires. All LCDs use comms of some sort, though most can be bypassed, then the controller will use some defaults. If the battery is connected by two wires or two terminals, there aren't any comms. Likewise, the number of wires connected to the motor can give some clues, but I've never seen comms in a motor except when the controller is inside the motor.
Battery and controller are in one compact unit. And the external wiring has an impressive number of pins per connector - 6 to 9 each - who knows if they're all used. Motor cable has 9 pins - 8 + 1 central.

A wiring diagram (as in pinouts) would be sweet, but with the pesky closed system it may not be that useful in the end, since you'll end up at the dealers one way or another.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The motor has no comms, so you can use any motor you want as long as you connect the 9 wires correctly even better if it has the standard 9-pin connector. It's a shame about the controller. you'd have to look more closely to see what connections to the battery it has.

RichC

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2020
Battery and controller are in one compact unit. And the external wiring has an impressive number of pins per connector - 6 to 9 each - who knows if they're all used. Motor cable has 9 pins - 8 + 1 central.

A wiring diagram (as in pinouts) would be sweet, but with the pesky closed system it may not be that useful in the end, since you'll end up at the dealers one way or another.
oddly it looks like the standard ribble fitted button may not be coded, the aux battery i have cannot be as it has no SN so it looks like its the battery (which comes fitted to the controller but is shown in one of the exploded diagrams as slotting into the top of the controller tube so may not be) and the handle bar head unit if you do not use the standard button! hardly seems worth the cloak and dagger hidden parts in the app. out of interest where did you get a second wheel?

Last edited:

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
...out of interest where did you get a second wheel?
From a second bike. :) I have two Orbea Gains - one that works, one that doesn't. Yet.

I bought one as faulty with the intention of fixing it. Seller claimed it was a faulty PAS (Hall effect) sensor, but it was something more obscure (Phase III connection error: Erorr code 24), which sounded more motor like to me.

So I swapped wheels to check if the problem was the motor. It worked fine in the 'good' bike which is good news.

Then I moved on to the battery/controller unit - bought a new one with the intention of swapping the existing one out.
It turns out that there are two (possibly more?) versions of the battery/controller unit, with different connectors, so I can't plug'n'play. Grrr.

It goes into the L(O)BS today for them to have a play. If nothing else, I'm learning.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One only has to look at the bike specs, simply put yes everything bar the hub motor.
Iwoc handle bar selector = CANbus compatible.
Smart Motor controller = CANbus compatible.
Smart inner battery = CANbus compatible.
Recharge point = CANbus included.
Extra range ext bottle battery = CANbus compatible.

RichC

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2020
From a second bike. :) I have two Orbea Gains - one that works, one that doesn't. Yet.

I bought one as faulty with the intention of fixing it. Seller claimed it was a faulty PAS (Hall effect) sensor, but it was something more obscure (Phase III connection error: Erorr code 24), which sounded more motor like to me.

So I swapped wheels to check if the problem was the motor. It worked fine in the 'good' bike which is good news.

Then I moved on to the battery/controller unit - bought a new one with the intention of swapping the existing one out.
It turns out that there are two (possibly more?) versions of the battery/controller unit, with different connectors, so I can't plug'n'play. Grrr.

It goes into the L(O)BS today for them to have a play. If nothing else, I'm learning.
so far I have found out there are 2 versions with different control connectors, old ones had a square connector to the iwoc unit new ones are round similar to the motor connection. so if the motor and the sensor don't have SN connections that just leaves the control units, keep me in touch please as i'm interested in trying to switch my kit over at some point or buying a complete motor set up to build up my touring bike.

RichC

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2020
One only has to look at the bike specs, simply put yes everything bar the hub motor.
Iwoc handle bar selector = CANbus compatible.
Smart Motor controller = CANbus compatible.
Smart inner battery = CANbus compatible.
Recharge point = CANbus included.
Extra range ext bottle battery = CANbus compatible.
but if the aux battery is after sale and has no SN then im interested in how many will trigger the fault code and not work. seems odd that the in frame button is not coded but the handlebar mount is. interestingly the chargers have a SN on them too which makes me wonder if they have to match the frames?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The aux battery is a for smart controller only as is say's so is CANbus.

RichC

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2020
The aux battery is a for smart controller only as is say's so is CANbus.
finally a response from Mahle.......

Thank you for our message

The Range Extender doesn't have to be programmed, you can use the same Range Extender of other brands or bikes.
Concerning the internal battery, please always use the same one. There can't be two internal batteries for the same bike and it can't be "activated" or "removed" remotely, unfortunately

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Hmm, interesting! Presumably the 'other brand' extender needs to match the pinout and CANbus protocol though.
Does anyone know of an alternative?

The ebikemotion ones are inordinately expensive at £549 for a relatively small battery (208 Wh).

RichC

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2020
Hmm, interesting! Presumably the 'other brand' extender needs to match the pinout and CANbus protocol though.
Does anyone know of an alternative?

The ebikemotion ones are inordinately expensive at £549 for a relatively small battery (208 Wh).
assume they meant Orbea, Ribble, Cannonade, Pinnerello and Willer all of which use x35?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
CANbus protocols will have to be an excact match, Bosch, Yamaha & Shimano etc,etc use CANbus but one can't mix and match. Even generic systems using digital input one can't usually mix and match display to controller but one can use any generic battery.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
ernative?

That's CANbus for you, as the saying goes they have you buy the balls.

That's why us sensible ones don't buy into these extortionate bikes and keep to generic cheaper systems that do the same thing.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
assume they meant Orbea, Ribble, Cannonade, Pinnerello and Willer all of which use x35?
Ah, but it was Mahle who replied, right? They make them for all those bikes. I was thinking more along the lines of non-Mahle vendors. But as Nealh says, they may not exist.

RichC

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2020

That's why us sensible ones don't buy into these extortionate bikes and keep to generic cheaper systems that do the same thing.
ah but i got a battery on Ebay from x police stock (they have Orbea e hybrids in some cities) for 300 quid that was returned on day one as it wasn't working. however it holds charge and shows 36v across the 2 poles, im waiting for my Ribble e bike bought on cycle to work to try it but it seems likely that whoever had it didn't understand it recharges the main battery and will not work on its own instantly with a flat main battery. in the meantime my knee has suffered a flair of arthritis and thus i'm looking to switch my MTB/tourer to a motorised set up too, my only quandary is to try and find an old broken framed ebike with x35 (there are 2 on ebay) or forget trying to tie them together and go down the bafang hub or mid drive route and sell the extra battery on. decisions.........

RichC

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2020
Ah, but it was Mahle who replied, right? They make them for all those bikes. I was thinking more along the lines of non-Mahle vendors. But as Nealh says, they may not exist.
i haven't found a non mahle yet with that plug!

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020

Don't worry - I'm sensible enough. Neither bike was puchased new.

However, I appreciate the tidy design and weight of the ebikemotion system, but I agree you're open to financial abuse with a closed system.

Advertisers