Bosch 503 Error

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Any suggestions for this please?

Got the '503 ERROR' come up on my Purion display today. Bike was riding fine but then when freewheeling downhill I noticed the speedo said zero mph.
I stopped and turned the display off/on and same thing again. Set off riding and could feel that the motor wasn't on, then '503 ERROR' popped up again.

I've read its a sensor problem, but I've removed, cleaned and refitted it, and checked the magnet, but no success.

Any suggestions please?

2018 Cube Reaction Race 500 - Bosch motor - Purion displayIMG_1313.jpeg

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Dirt?
I haven't got a clue, which is why I asked the question.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Any suggestions for this please?
Bike was riding fine but then when freewheeling downhill I noticed the speedo said zero mph.
No speed displayed can sometimes happen when there is a comms problem with the main battery (or connector). Worth swapping/reseating that if you haven't already.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
No speed displayed can sometimes happen when there is a comms problem with the main battery (or connector). Worth swapping/reseating that if you haven't already.
Thanks, I have removed the battery and cleaned the connections. I'll have another look tomorrow and if I can't fix it I might have to take it to the local Bosch approved bike shop

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you need to remove the speed sensor cable from the motor and clean it and see if that fixes it you need to remove the crank arm from the left hand side to get to it and remove the motor cover.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
you need to remove the speed sensor cable from the motor and clean it and see if that fixes it you need to remove the crank arm from the left hand side to get to it and remove the motor cover.
I'll give that a try thanks. I've got a the tools from when I changed the front chain ring, so I shall see of this fixes the problem, thanks.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if it still does not work then only other option is a new speed sensor.

just make sure the cable is long enough.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Just got the bike lifted up to have a look. Do I need to remove the skid plate before I can remove the left side cover?

As well as the two obvious bolts on the side of the cover...

1.jpeg

Theres also two on the front (though one may be for the right cover), and the two for the skid plate..

2.jpeg

Two underneath the skid plate...

3.jpeg

And two at the rear (poor photo)...

4.jpeg

Also, are they all the same size allen bolts as I don't want to be rounding any off?

Thanks.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if the cover wont pull of with the bolts removed then id say you need to also remove the skid plate first.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Took the bike to a local Bosch approved bike shop and they have fitted a new speed sensor cable, and its now back to working great. Frustratingly they performed a software update (I'd forgotten to tell them not to) but thankfully this update still works with my Badass 3.4 dongle, happy days.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
do you still get the error when not using the dongle ?

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
do you still get the error when not using the dongle ?
Haven't tried it without the dongle yet. I was riding home from work when the motor cut off and the error displayed. Had to walk home pushing the bike, as without the motor I couldn't get up the steep hill home.

I'll have a play with it later in the week when I have time to experiment, and check the magnet etc. Last time a new speed sensor cable fixed it.

Typical that it would fail just as I've spent £60 fitting a new 11 speed chain, front chainring and O ring !!!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
also try new bat in the dongle and display if not done so already but mine does not need to move much on the sensor to get a error.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Hoping I've managed to fix this, if only temporarily?
Removed the Badass dongle, checked battery and it is still 100% power.
Readjusted the magnet and (without dongle fitted) went for a ride, still got the error code.
Removed the magnet, waved it past the sensor as fast as I could a few times so the Purion showed as high a speed as I could get, then refitted magnet. Turned Purion off/on and went for a ride, all seems good.
Will refit the dongle and see what happens.

Last edited:

Advertisers