Bosch Classic Line Issues

dust40

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 9, 2012
Hi,

I am a long time lurker, first time poster from Norway.

I imported a Kalkhoff BS10 from 50cycles four years ago. Apart from an issue with the original battery that was taken care of by Bosch (with good help from 50cycles) it has been running perfectly for 7000 km until now.

Some weeks ago I took my bike to work and everything was OK. When I left work I remember starting to cycle without turning the battery on, and when I turned it on sitting on the bike slowly cycling, it did not react. Even if I removed the battery from the bike frame the battery lights still stayed on. I ended up having to cycle home with no help from the motor. When I came home I charged the battery fully, but the same thing happens. When I press and hold the battery button it appears that it is reset and the lights turn off, but the problem remains the same when I put it back.

Based on the above, I suspected that there was something wrong with the battery. I took the bike to an authorized dealer here in Norway, but the diagnostics tool tells that there is no response from the system. When they put in a new battery it still does not work, indicating that the problem has to do with something associated to the motor and not the battery itself. Unfortunately they do not have a bike available with the classic system and therefore have not been able to diagnose the battery to completely rule that out.

The issue is that Bosch is not willing to do warranty on a four year old motor, and the more time the shop is spending on trying to pinpoint the issue, the more I might end up paying without any solution. I am told that I new motor is some 800 EUR + shipping and VAT, and I am very reluctant to replace the motor at this cost, especially since I know that mechanically it is fine. I have also contacted 50cyles to see if they have any advice.

The reason for posting here is to hear if anyone here have any experience with similar problems with the classic Bosch line, and generally have any advice on what I should do. One "solution" would obviously be to try to sell the bike for parts including the two year old 400 Wh battery pack and buy a new bike, but it just seems like such a waste knowing that it probably is some electronic part or wiring that it should be possible to replace.

Regards,
Steinar

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The bike shop should have done this, but it's worth cleaning the contacts on the back of the Intuvia display.

They can give problems, particularly if exposed to a bit of weather.

Electrical contact cleaner spray is best, or methylated spirits.

Best not to use anything abrasive such as emery paper because it's too easy to wear away the contacts and there's very little material to play with.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
When I left work I remember starting to cycle without turning the battery on, and when I turned it on sitting on the bike slowly cycling, it did not react. Even if I removed the battery from the bike frame the battery lights still stayed on. I ended up having to cycle home with no help from the motor.
Did you take both of your feet off the pedals when you tried to turn it on? An error message usually comes up although by the sound of it you have the very early display so I'm not sure if they do the same as the intuvia display. Although that may explain your first problem it shouldn't be responsible for it continuing, unless you are trying to turn it on with pressure on a pedal.

dust40

Oct 9, 2012
The bike shop should have done this, but it's worth cleaning the contacts on the back of the Intuvia display.

They can give problems, particularly if exposed to a bit of weather.

Electrical contact cleaner spray is best, or methylated spirits.

Best not to use anything abrasive such as emery paper because it's too easy to wear away the contacts and there's very little material to play with.
Thanks for the tip Rob. Not that it matters in this respect, but it is the 1. gen display, not the Intuvia. I have checked the contacts as this was one of my initial suspects, but they are clean and shiny as new, and the fact that the diagnostics tool also have the same problem leads me to the conclusions that unfortunately this is not the problem.

dust40

Oct 9, 2012
Did you take both of your feet off the pedals when you tried to turn it on? An error message usually comes up although by the sound of it you have the very early display so I'm not sure if they do the same as the intuvia display. Although that may explain your first problem it shouldn't be responsible for it continuing, unless you are trying to turn it on with pressure on a pedal.
It's the 1. gen display, and I know from experience that if I turn the pedals while turning on the system, it does not behave as it should. No error messages, but reduced and choppy power, and it has to be turned off and on again with no load to function properly. In this case, however it just blacked out (not shure if turned on a fraction of a second before it died..).

• Informative
Reactions: Artstu

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks for the tip Rob. Not that it matters in this respect, but it is the 1. gen display, not the Intuvia. I have checked the contacts as this was one of my initial suspects, but they are clean and shiny as new, and the fact that the diagnostics tool also have the same problem leads me to the conclusions that unfortunately this is not the problem.
Not that it helps you, but I have a generation one display on one of my Bosch bikes and prefer it to the Intuvia.

Much neater, and it takes up less handlebar real estate leaving more space for lights, a Garmin and so on.

Interesting that Bosch has effectively re-introduced it with the Purion.

Advertisers