Help! Bosch Custom Riding Modes

ttrucwy

Just Joined
Apr 18, 2023
So, you have a bike fitted with a Bosch Performance line speed motor which is classified as an S-Pedelec. The bike is fitted with a Nyon controller which via the phone app you can purchase, £2.99, the ability to apply custom riding modes, notably restrict the motor to 15.5 mph cut off for pedal assist. Question, whilst the bike classification will remain the same does the restricted motor assist make it road legal or is this a grey area?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It is far from grey as the motor is 350w rated for the S pedelec and in law illegal.
So even using programming to change a parameter , putting a wolf in to sheeps clothing doesn't chnage much should the bike be gone over.

However chances of being stopped are nil unless you are riding stupidly to attract attention. My brother has been riding a Bosch S ped for over 8 years probably more like over 10 now without issues.

ttrucwy

Just Joined
Apr 18, 2023
It is far from grey as the motor is 350w rated for the S pedelec and in law illegal.
So even using programming to change a parameter , putting a wolf in to sheeps clothing doesn't chnage much should the bike be gone over.

However chances of being stopped are nil unless you are riding stupidly to attract attention. My brother has been riding a Bosch S ped for over 8 years probably more like over 10 now without issues.
Hi, thanks for the response. I agree if the motor was 350w then yes but the motor I am talking about is on a Reise und Muller HS model and it is rated at 250w but can assist up to 28mph.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It is really is 250w then yes will be legal if the speed isset for 25km/h.

I personlly think Bosh are simply massaging figures to suit the rules and motors are like china ones and all rated for anything from 250 - 500w . They feel fit to label as thet see fit.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes there has been at least one maybe two instances where some one has registered such speed bikes complete with registrtion plate and full m/c helmet. I think there was one such case on this forum some 4 or 5 years ago.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if i can hit 39.6mph with a bosch cx with 75nm 250w isn't going to cut it more like 900w and 500w from my legs and now we are getting there ;)

as my bike can assist over 28mph it is now race class and in nearly ten years it has never been a problem :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Advertisers