Bosch CX gen 4 - battery short?

najericam

Just Joined
Nov 29, 2023
Hey all.

I have a Bulls Copperhead EVO AM 1 with Bosch CX4 motor and 625wh power tube. Only at 330km at the moment, but bike doesn't have local warranty as it was brought from abroad.

I have recently replaced factory Purion for a Kiox display, and at this stage, bike went a bit crazy. After installation, I turned ON the display but the bike wasn't starting, battery percentage was showing only as -- on the Kiox.

After hooking it up to the diagnostic, there was an error that internal Kiox battery is low and to charge it via USB kr by pressing power button on the ebike battery, which I didn. And since that moment, bike is just power cycling, going on and off, even if I remove the battery, install it back, starts power cycling straight away.

Diagnostic tool connects only to Kiox and not to the battery or drive unit.

I have tried connecting old Purion back, but the same thig.

Recently I have installed a GPS tracker, that I tapped into power of old Purion, but this was working for quite some time, and for sure, there was no short there, current GPS was drawing was 100mA or less, so doubt that was causing error below.

Also, bike was sitting for few days, not being used, and I didn't switch it ON before removing Purion and installing Kiox, but just after, so I don't have exact clue if issue happened while bike was resting or during Kiox installation.

However, after consistent effort to make it ON, I somehow managed, battery in, Purion connected to laptop, bike was power cycling, and I removed main power plug from the motor and plugged it back in, and at this point bike went ON completely. And since then is powering ON as it should, with Kiox as well at the moment. I still didn't have chance to ride it, but everything seems to be working, including factory lights (MonkeyLink).

So, any idea what could cause this error below? I doubt it was a Kiox or GPS I tapped into power line of old Purion, there are ones that are sold with Y cable to power them up the same way, and tapping was done nice and neat, without any chance for short, plus I doubt that could cause major current draw to trig the error without melting some wires. :)

I have checked all connectors a d tested for any short, but nothing. Next one would be to check all wires physically for any damage...

My main suspicion is, while I was putting battery back, maybe some pins got shorted, they are kinda exposed... or something with the motor internally that was causing short and simply "burned" or gave up after my consistent attempts to switch it ON, though so far everything seems to be working.

Attached is error from Bosch Diagnostic tool, maybe someone had similar experience and would give me a hint, until the n, I guess there is no much but to check wires and ride it and see how it goes.

Attachments

Advertisers