Bosch CX Intermittent power loss - error 530 - FIXED

dalemanuk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2017
uk
Long time lurker on here - I couldn't find much in the way of info to help with my problem so I’m posting this so that others may benefit from my experience – it’s no fun worrying about suffering a power loss 20 miles from home at my age!

My 3 year old 6000 miles Cube Reaction recently developed a habit of shutting down at random points in a ride, usually with the display showing a flashing empty power pack, but no error message. It refused to power up again unless I removed the power pack and reinstalled it. Sometimes I made it back home without any further shut downs, and sometimes not. A battery reset didn't solve the problem

It did eventually show error 530 which gave me something to go on. “remove and reinstall power pack – if this doesn’t work consult a dealer”. Hmmm, that sounded expensive!

Fortunately my partner has a similar bike so I tried her battery on my bike which solved my problem. I also tried my battery on her bike and it worked perfectly!

OK, so it had to be something to do with my power pack connecting to my bike. After searching umpteen forums for advice I cleaned all the terminals and adjusted the power pack mountings so that the pack was held as tight as possible but the problem persisted.

Next I decided to try swapping out the wiring loom from the power pack to the motor – problem solved!

Once I could closely inspect the original socket/terminals I was surprised how badly the terminals had worn and become pitted. In future I’ll mostly charge the power pack on the bike to at least avoid some wear

Advertisers