Bosch Dongle...a delayed initial finding from Autopsy

countryman663

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2013
NWest Lake District
Blowing off the Dust!
Its been a while since Rob F sent me his failed Dongle to play with. Been busy with rebuilding house type chores (whatchores? thanks I'll have a pint) Just began unpacking the internals today, 26/1/14
Everything is glued in so it took a bit of disassembly to remove it from it's housing. Relating this to other posts on the sight the casing of this commercial product has all the signs of being 3D printed!
Once out it was difficult to read the chip so I resorted to a white china-graph and discovered the following
Chip is an Atmel 1301 8 pin chip Attiny 13A
further research found a PDF giving the full characteristics to which I have included the following link for interested parties.
http://www.atmel.com/Images/doc8126.pdf
hope someone finds it useful
More to come but it will be at the same glacial pace

El Champiero

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2013
Bristol
This is interesting - I have the SX2 dongle and so far it has been on the bike since Feb 2013 performing very well. Last week I occasionally got a few error 102's on the HMI but I cleaned up the dongle and the socket and no further problems. Will be good to see if it a usable dongle can be made up by someone on this foum who may well be able to sell it at a competitive price.

D

Deleted member 4366

This is the Badass dongle?

You could use any small microprocessor. The chip in yours is an Arduino clone AFAI. It reads the magnet pulses on an input (probably by a hall sensor) and uses some simple rules to pulse one of it's outputs at a different rate, which is connected to a coil that then produces a new pulsing magnetic field. It probably uses a transitor to pullse the coil rather than direct connection.The outut coil is placed in front of the normal Bosch sensor which is therefore reading the pulse rate from the coil instead of the wheel magnet.

They've made a nice self-contained unit, but only the hall sensor and coil need to be by the wheel. The rest can be with the battery in a saddle bag or something if you want to make your own.

Advertisers