Help! Bosch ebike won’t turn on

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
I went out for a small ride on my Cube Elly bike with Bosch activeline motor, it’s probably done less than 200 miles from new, it’s maybe a couple of years old, my mother gave it to me as she never uses it.

It was working fine, a few hours later I want to ride it again but it’s totally dead, the display will not turn on, I have tried 4 Different batteries on it, they all work 100% fine on my other bikes, But the elly is still dead, I have replaced the button cell batteries in the Purion display, still dead.

It was not raining when I was riding it, it was working 100% as it should, can anyone recommend anything I can check?

Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Back to the dealer for a fault diagnosis or firm ware upgrade ?

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
My mother is looking for receipt to see if it is still under warranty, she bought it from 50 cycles, I’m worried that a Bosch bike can fail with no warning, I use my trek powerfly for long commutes, the fact that it might just fail with no warnings 30 miles from home is scary.

I’m not prepared to spend significant amounts of money on it as I don’t really need it, but might be Worth just paying for a diagnoses when the service becomes available.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if it wont turn on nothing much a dealer can do with the software but if you remove the left side cover on the motor you will find the connections where everything is plugged in display ect.

could be a loose connection or a bad contact but did you try and turn on the bike with the battery button when on the bike?

if it is the motor 2nd hand ones go for about 2-300 on ebay.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No chance 50c went under but resurrected like the Phoenix under a different name, you may have to go to a Bosch dealer. If under warranty a dealer may charge for their time but not any replacement if needed.

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
if it wont turn on nothing much a dealer can do with the software but if you remove the left side cover on the motor you will find the connections where everything is plugged in display ect.

could be a loose connection or a bad contact but did you try and turn on the bike with the battery button when on the bike?

if it is the motor 2nd hand ones go for about 2-300 on ebay.

I tried to turn the bike on with the battery button, that’s what I had to do when my treks purion display’s battery had died.

I’m not prepared to spend money on this, the motor is almost brand new, never used it the rain, just pottered about on by an 80 year old lady.

My mums struggling to find her receipt, but I know it’s less than 2 years old as I’ve found my receipt for my trek which I bought before hers and it’s 20 months old, I hope she still manages to find it then I can take is to a Bosch dealer to fix.

If the receipt can’t be found I’ll have a look inside the motor, thanks for the help.

I might consider getting a hub motor for it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the motor has 2 years warranty but you cant use any other motor with the batts as they will not power on unless all the parts can talk to each other.

if you have warranty left this place can take care of it.

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
the motor has 2 years warranty but you cant use any other motor with the batts as they will not power on unless all the parts can talk to each other.

if you have warranty left this place can take care of it.

I know the batteries will only work with Bosch, I could use the battery with my other bikes, and get a full hub kit, it’s not looking good for the warranty as no receipt found.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you dont need the receipt just the sn on the left side of the motor but any bosch dealer should be able to send it off for you some will some wont.

it could be just the display or a bad connection so if you can get it to the dealer to have a look first would be the best way forwards.

Reactions: Julie

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
Just an update, on Monday I’m taking it to a dealer to have a look at it, I have found the receipt, it’s under warranty until September so hopefully the parts will be covered if any are needed.

One dealer who is too busy to look at the bike said they know of two similar issues, also with cubes, and the problem was poor cable routing which damaged a cable, hopefully it will be something like that.

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
Just an update, the problem with the bike was the purion display had failed, I’m surprised that it did with so little use and always being kept indoors.

Advertisers