Bosch-Intuvia display showing 0 mph whilst moving.

Andrew Naden

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 21, 2018
Harpenden
Hi

I have a Bosch-Intuvia on a old Kalkhof Endeavour. All going great until the chain broke.. took it to the menders who installed a new chain and cassette - and now the speedo only shows zero when moving. There is assistance but it feels constrained.. The bike carries a dongle and I've had the constrained symptoms before when the wheel magnet rusted away (which is fine) - but not the zero speed. Mender guy denies all knowledge. Does anyone have any pointers?

Cheers

Andrew

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
what sort of dongle is it? and are you getting any error codes.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Check for proper alignment between the wheel magnet and the line on the speed sensor.

Reactions: Danidl

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
All going great until the chain broke.. took it to the menders who installed a new cassette
The mender would have taken the rear wheel off to install the cassette, so very likely cause is either the speed sensor or magnet were knocked out of place by accident when this work was carried out. Mender probably didn't even notice they had done it and so were not lying when they denied all knowledge.

Reactions: Danidl

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
he should get a 503 speed sensor error if the wheel magnet is not in the right place and will get no assist from the motor.

dongle could have a loose connection or if a badass one could be a low batt.

i would remove the dongle and see if that sorts the problem first if none of the above works :)

• Agree
Reactions: ebiker99

Andrew Naden

Apr 21, 2018
Harpenden
Hi, ta for the tips. The sensor was knocked - mender fixed it back on with a cable tie that I hadn't noticed. He came clean.. Don't know the type of dongle - I've asked the guy I got the bike from - see what he says. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks once again.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
why have they used a cable tie to put the speed sensor back in place? it is supposed to be screwed in to the frame to give the right spacing for it to sense the magnet.

Andrew Naden

Apr 21, 2018
Harpenden
Because it looks like it fell off - there is evidence of glue too..

It's a Badass dongle I'm told - I've looked at the badass web site and can't see anything that looks like my setup.. Does the badass replace the original sensor? What I have is wire coming from engine going to sensor which is positioned on the frame in the right place for the pass of the magnet. Or is the dongle something in the engine..?

Used the bike to cycle to work and was definitely held back on a flat straight where the assistance normally kept coming - so I think it's the dongle..

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the badass dongle is a electromagnet powerd buy a batt it could be low but imo that the speed sensor could be faulty the amount of damage it has taken.

you can use this to mount the sensor on and then slide the dongle over it.

new sensor cable.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
lol not sure why you would glue it on the sensor unless the case was broke but looks fine it the pics?

the band on the back is all what is needed to hold it on the speed sensor.

it could be the batt is now dead so try a new one but you should get a 503 error?

Andrew Naden

Apr 21, 2018
Harpenden
Hi, an update...

The bike shop came clean and admitted that they broke off the sensor and dongle when changing the chain.. in fact when they took the wheel off.. So they fixed back the sensor correctly - minus the dongle. The engine gives assistance up to 15mph on the speedo. I took the opportunity to replace the battery in the Badass and affixed to the sensor and back on the bike... But - no change. The speedo doesn't halve the speed - the Badass is not working.

Would you agree it's the Badass?

I'm messaging them too to see if there are any alternatives..

Cheers

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
sounds like they have broken the dongle some how as it either works or dont even if you move the dongle a bit you should get a 503 speed sensor error msg if it is not on right.

you cant take out the wheel unless you remove the dongle first so looks like how they broke it.

Advertisers