Bosch motor sprocket (2014) worn out ?

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Martin I agree, if you let everything go on until it's all knackered you'll get more miles.
So this way of thinking is a culture shock.
As I'm running two cassettes with different ratios, keeping on top of the chain makes sense, at least it did when my bikes had full sized front rings, now I'm not so sure.
As to expensive chains, will they bring my worn sprocket back to life or make a new sprocket last longer.
Generally they will just wear your new chain quicker if using on a part worn cassette, its not advised. Try to balance the cassettes with similar mileage.

You'll be please to know the sprockets are half the size and therefore half the price of a conventional alloy ring :)

Martin

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
With the Rohloff the rear sprocket can be removed, turned over then start again. Not being a derailleur makes for less wear, they just keep everything going.
Less chain wear is another benefit of a hub gear, not least because the chain isn't being dragged over a cassette dozens of times a ride.

I think the Rohloff reversible trick is more aimed at the owner who finds himself in difficulty in Xyzastan on his world tour.

Preferred maintenance regime would be to replace the sprocket at the first opportunity.

Reactions: Martin@e-bikeshop

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Rob the KMC chain, that's discounted to half RRP
My Cube came with a KMC chain & there's no visual difference between the old chain & my replacement.

Anywho, it's not the chain that's f^[{# d it's the motor sprocket
Your totally missing the point of my OP
A Schwalbe Marathon tyre looks the same as a cheapo from China - they are both round and black.

However, there is a big difference in price and performance.

The same is true, I think, for chains.

But then, I'm no engineer.

As regards missing the point, you mentioned the chain.

The original sprocket could have worn for lots of reasons, not least a slightly cranky maintenance regime.

Not much to do other than replace it.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Back to the OP about motor sprockets

From the comments made to my questions

1/ is it normal for Bosch drive sprockets to need replacing this early
This would seam to be acceptable ware
2/ should I take this up with Bosch, Cube or the retailer
I'll speak to my retailer anyway
3/ what tools would I need to remove the crank & sprocket
There not as special as I first thought so easily brought
4/ where would I find a replacement sprocket
Martin has one
As to comparing Chinese copy & schwalbe tyres with KMC chains & more expensive KMC chains, well I don't know what to say ? The post is about my OEM drivetrain parts.
Enough said

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Yep and generally the single speed chain has a different pitch, naturally allowing more space to do this.
Both actually.
In that case perhaps you can share the bicycle available without a 1/2 pitch with us all? I hadn't realised they were available.

As to those small front sprockets on the Bosch, I had a good discussion with one of the guys at KMC chains about the exact issues you're now having. They did say they had plans for a heavy duty 1/8 th chain and sprockets for hub bikes, but that's not much use to you.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Here's a thought,
couldn't I just reverse the motor sprocket as the Rohloff owners do ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Here's a thought,
couldn't I just reverse the motor sprocket as the Rohloff owners do ?
If you can it's a good solution, the same advice is given to owners of the second generation Panasonic unit when the motor sprocket starts jumping the chain though wear. Reversing extends it's life.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Having never seen an ISIS crank before made me think it was something unique to Bosch, along with talk of spcical spider tools & I'd blown the whole job out of all proportions.
In reality a ISIS crank extractor is less than a fiver off the bay & the " spider nut" is basically a castleated nut & my Motorcycle shock spanner
(c spanner) dropped straight on.
Simples.
So reversing the front sprocket & fitting my new chain took 10 minuets.
Now with the low mileage rear cassett the ride is quiter & changing smoother.
All in all a job worth doing :cool:

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Having never seen an ISIS crank before made me think it was something unique to Bosch, along with talk of spcical spider tools & I'd blown the whole job out of all proportions.
In reality a ISIS crank extractor is less than a fiver off the bay & the " spider nut" is basically a castleated nut & my Motorcycle shock spanner
(c spanner) dropped straight on.
Not forgetting the free advice given / questions answered by a dealer that you did not purchase from.. Good to see mr ting tong on eBay got the sale anyways ;) We use the crank extractor from Park Tool & the official Bosch tooling. Guess you pay for what you get.

Glad to hear its all sorted..

Martin

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Sorry Martin, I didn't buy anything from you this time.
I appreciate you need to make a living.
I don't think you can blame me not buying a spider tool for £30 when my m/c shock spanner fitted perfectly.
I have chosen your store for parts over others when I owned a kalkhoff and when my cube needs ebike parts I'll look in on you.
I think what you need to do is open a shop closer to Northampton for when I'm ready to buy my next bike !

Advertisers