Bosch Performance line CX - Upgrade Speedbox 2 - Can't get Crank off

privatepilotuk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 3, 2018
I recently purchased a Speedbox 2 upgrade, which came with a Bosch Crank Extractor. That didn't work. I then purchased from Wiggle the CCU-44 Crank Extractor for Bosch. Again, this doesn't work either (or it's just me). How can I fit the Speedbox 2 if I can't even get the Crank off? My mechanical skills are rubbish. Any experts care to point me in the right direction please?

Bike is Voodoo Bizango eMTB with Bosch Performance line CX Motor and Nyon display. Image attached of Motor

Dave

Attachments

privatepilotuk

Jul 3, 2018
Just type crank removal into youtube. A great place to get help if you dont know what your doing.
I did all that, so many I went through, it looks so simple, unscrew, place in Crank Extractor which uses a plunge to push away the crank, yet mine does not do this.The crank dos not move. Could it be wrong crank extractor or the crank needs a very special tool?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

have you got that silver bit that goes on the end? as if not could be why its not coming off and just going in to the bolt hole for the crank.

privatepilotuk

Jul 3, 2018

have you got that silver bit that goes on the end? as if not could be why its not coming off and just going in to the bolt hole for the crank.
HI, yes, I actually have two types of these extractors, the one showing above and a CCP-44 type too http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tool-crank-extractor-ccp44/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=125246&kpid=125246&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mckv|sDt2OgClr_dc|mcrid|295296961877|mkw||mmt||mrd|125246uk|mslid||&mkwid=sDt2OgClr_dc&pcrid=295296961877&prd=125246uk&pgrid=57437518777&ptaid=pla-345524176480

It could be simple as making sure 100% that I have this correctly threaded and aligned etc but it;s a baffler for me and my low techincal skills. 10 mins upgrade they said lol

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you could ride it with the bolt off or whack it off with a hammer but you should be able to remove it with what you have.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Please be careful before just becoming frustrated and screwing it down further.

I tried to do this using Park Tool CWP-7 and only after getting it jammed and then struggling to get it removed did I notice that the top of the puller came away and flipped over to provide a wider "pusher". As the Bosch crank arms are hollow you need to make sure the tool is pushing agains the outer rim of the crank otherwise it just screws into the hollow part.

If it doubt please take it to a local bike shop rather than force it which can cause damage.

The one shown by soundwave is the alternative type which has a silver part you insert into the crank to allow it to bite.

Hope this helps.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I can't understand why this isn't working for you. Is the puller coming out of the crank arm when you try to tighten the inner bolt? If so, you have not screwed the outer part into the crank arm far enough and you are stripping the thread in the arm. You should only need finger pressure to screw the outer thread into the arm, no spanners required, if it gets tight after a turn or so, you are cross threading it. Remove and start again. It needs to go in about 6-8 turns. Otherwise, I think you may need some hands on help from a bike shop for this job.

Starfighter

Mar 3, 2019
I did all that, so many I went through, it looks so simple, unscrew, place in Crank Extractor which uses a plunge to push away the crank, yet mine does not do this.The crank dos not move. Could it be wrong crank extractor or the crank needs a very special tool?
I can't understand why this isn't working for you. Is the puller coming out of the crank arm when you try to tighten the inner bolt? If so, you have not screwed the outer part into the crank arm far enough and you are stripping the thread in the arm. You should only need finger pressure to screw the outer thread into the arm, no spanners required, if it gets tight after a turn or so, you are cross threading it. Remove and start again. It needs to go in about 6-8 turns. Otherwise, I think you may need some hands on help from a bike shop for this job.
I Did same then looked on you tube discovered was using wrong end of Park Tools Crank puller as it was a universal one I was using the small pin end and should've been using the flat end you just swap ends took me a while too neatly give up.

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Or has a washer come off your crank M15 bolt and is still lodged in the crank arm? You could be screwing in the extractor and it's now pushing against itself(the washer) rather than the end of the crankshaft??

privatepilotuk

Jul 3, 2018
Thank you for all your advice and help. I did manage to do this finally. It just needed a bit of strength to push through and turn the crank tool. Works well now........

Related Articles

Advertisers