Bosch Smart system with Speedbox 1.0b (Don't buy)

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Just to advise after only 100 miles the speedbox 1.0b for Bosch smart system let me down. It was discovered by the bosch smart sytem and errored into limp mode. I spoke with Speedbox this morning and they admitted it could well happen again. This product is flawed, do not buy. I now have a 90 minute ride in limp mode to reset. Maybe the badass 4 will work?.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
did you get 3 504 errors and then went in to limp mode ? did you have any firmware updates to the bike ?

a dealer can reset it but it is not clear at all how many times this can be done but any dongle that is wired in to the bikes motor could be bricked buy the new smart system.

a bad ass dongle whould be the best bet as it just sits on the speed sensor but they only go to 25mph these days but you will need the sensor adaptor for gen 4 motors.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Sent dongle back to 2 wheel empire and waiting for the new pear tune moo version 4. Bosch told me to ride in limp mode up to 90 mins (not all at once, and it clears error). I can do this up to 3 times before dealer intervention. It's a pain in the arse, but ill not update anymore and see how get on with the pear tune. The bike at 15mph isn't for me. If I can't get it to work then the bikes going and I'm back to my 2016 Haibike. By the way the old Bosch motor from 2016 feels better than the 2022 model. hmmm

• Informative
Reactions: Artstu

SamuelC

Just Joined
Sep 30, 2022
Sent dongle back to 2 wheel empire and waiting for the new pear tune moo version 4. Bosch told me to ride in limp mode up to 90 mins (not all at once, and it clears error). I can do this up to 3 times before dealer intervention. It's a pain in the arse, but ill not update anymore and see how get on with the pear tune. The bike at 15mph isn't for me. If I can't get it to work then the bikes going and I'm back to my 2016 Haibike. By the way the old Bosch motor from 2016 feels better than the 2022 model. hmmm
How did you get on with the pear tune? I’ve had the error with speedbox and definitely don’t want to go back to a restricted bike.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i really would not try using dongles that are wired in to these motors esp if you want software upgrades to the display or firmware updates could brick any of them so if you do get it to work nothing can ever be updated.

if they start to use gps then it will mean the end of any dongles on these things i software updated my kiox and it now stores the data for every ride and when it syncsto the phone app it is all uploaded minus the gps.

SamuelC

Just Joined
Sep 30, 2022
i really would not try using dongles that are wired in to these motors esp if you want software upgrades to the display or firmware updates could brick any of them so if you do get it to work nothing can ever be updated.

if they start to use gps then it will mean the end of any dongles on these things i software updated my kiox and it now stores the data for every ride and when it syncsto the phone app it is all uploaded minus the gps.
My bike doesn’t have a magnet to do it that way so it’s dongle or nothing. I’m not fussed about all the smart features and the gimmicks with the bike I’d rather not update it. I just wait it derestricted and forget about it.
if I can’t get it to work with the Cube I think I’ll sell and get a Levo.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it has a magnet look on the disc rotor is where it tends to be on these bikes but you will be limited to 25mph so if you want faster than that then wired is the only way.

try on the EMTB forum in the derestricted section as more ppl have them over there so get the best one that they are using with no problems.

and trust me you dont want a levo loads of motor problems let alone using a dongle on it and cracked carbon frames and snapped pivot bolts.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
Are cube bikes difficult to derestrict?

Most of the bosch owners having issues seem to have cube bikes.

I’ve seen one local I might be interested in.

Reactions: Richtea70

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
only with the new smart motors but there are now dongles for them a ebikeshop sell them with there bikes and a few months ago this was not a option.

problem is you can never update the software or it will brick the dongle

Reactions: Kev.k

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
This is local on eBay. I’d take a chance at the right price.

If ebikeshop have them surely someone will copy it?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

if you can get that under 2 id go for it as out of all of these bikes the most expensive thing to replace are the batts.

those down tube batts well watch for ur self ;)

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
I’m a short ass. 5’10”.

I have seen a Haibike N-Duro and a X-Duro i like and they’re not too far away.

The cube is 10 mins away and looks clean. If it’s a PITA to derestrict I cba.

Im guessing new cube bikes will be discounted with the new model coming. They look nice but I couldn’t spend that much on a bike.
B5E8AA6E-47B5-4808-B546-48ED035EF496.png

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well the new bikes for next year tend to start showing up around the end of august sep but getting a dongle to work should not be a problem now but on most of these bikes there made so you cant run a massive front chain ring.

mine would be a 52t normal size sprocket and 10t at rear.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
So which are you getting it ?

Last edited:

Kees Zeeman

Just Joined
Apr 13, 2023
Hi guys,

Thanks for info above.

Soon i plan to buy this bike:

I'd rather have a dongle on it, but in my research I've found it's not that simple.
Due to speed sensor, error codes etc.

Can anyone give me advice on what I should research, for an error-free dongle on the bike above.

Thanks

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you get the bike from here they will dongle it and still have the 2 year warranty.

Advertisers