Bosch Speed Sensor

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
Random speed sensor working, not working on an active system. Stop at pub, get back on, no speed, no errors, nothing and of course no assist, pedal home leave overnight and working again.

Doesn't stop or start working unless system is turned off and on again (not windows 10) but not every time.

Weird issue as it could point to speed sensor, controller or display.

Only similar issue I found on this forum was related to an error on the display, which is odd as, if you have no sensor working the system wouldn't give an error, it would just think you are not moving, like mine (sometimes)

I am going to move the sensor, there is a second attachment point which would reduce by perhaps 1mm and add a washer to bring it closer, current passes at around 12mm distance which seems a lot, but has been designed and built this way, wheel is centered and true. But all this seems like red herring as the system works most of the time.

Anyone had similar issues?

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Main thing is to line the magnet up with the line on the sensor. Lots get it wrong & line the magnet up with the round end of the sensor.

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
Main thing is to line the magnet up with the line on the sensor. Lots get it wrong & line the magnet up with the round end of the sensor.
As you say, it's not aligned to the bolt, alignment is fine. Anyway it works most of the time and only breaks when switched off. Actually come to think of it I wonder if the missus is actually switching off or perhaps the issue is when it turns off itself after inactivity. I shall enquire, although there shouldn't be a difference.

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
OK, not random. It appears after much grilling, on arriving at pubs, display is left on and it times out after perhaps 5 minutes (someone should know) and shuts down. when going back to the bike, she turns it on in the normal way and although there is power, no mph display and no operations on the separate thumb control and no way to reset. Intuvia battery perhaps. I will investigate further.

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
So nothing wrong with the battery, seems like when you switch on, the battery is not switched on, so the display acts just like its off the bike, I have to actually switch on the battery when this happens to fix it until I turn it off next time. Makes no sense.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can charge Intuvia from a usb output off the bike try that and see if it is any different after a few hrs and clean all the contacts.

the batt is just a lipo cell in the display and easy enough to replace and test.

i sold mine 2 months ago or could of tried that but ecycle over in stroud might have one to try imo

Reactions: robwalley

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
It appears when (sometimes) you switch on the display it doesn't tell the battery pack to turn on, which in previous Haibike I've had certainly should be the case, again though it's not all the time. I can fix by pressing the on button on the main battery pack, but this is not right.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
So nothing wrong with the battery, seems like when you switch on, the battery is not switched on, so the display acts just like its off the bike, I have to actually switch on the battery when this happens to fix it until I turn it off next time. Makes no sense.
The symptoms you describe are consistent with the intuvia display losing
communication with the big battery. ... Lack of mph reading. I would suggest removing the display and cleaning the contacts under the housing. I always remove the display when I stop at shops etc. .. prevents light-fingered souvenir hunters, and ensures that the contacts get wiped regularly.
Similar to the suggestion that the ram in pcs be periodically removed and re inserted. ..

• Agree
Reactions: robwalley

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
The symptoms you describe are consistent with the intuvia display losing
communication with the big battery. ... Lack of mph reading. I would suggest removing the display and cleaning the contacts under the housing. I always remove the display when I stop at shops etc. .. prevents light-fingered souvenir hunters, and ensures that the contacts get wiped regularly.
Similar to the suggestion that the ram in pcs be periodically removed and re inserted. ..
Agreed sort of. I assume when you switch on the display it sends a signal to the battery pack to turn on and it's not. However how can this situation only occur after a power off due to inactivity and only after a few hours will it return to normal. If my wife remembers to turn off properly, no issues ever occur. Now I know what it is, I know how to work around, but I'll keep an eye on it to confirm the failure process and how long it is to fix itself. BTW I assume this is not by design, can someone else with an active, let the system turn off by itself, it takes 10 or 15 minutes I think.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Agreed sort of. I assume when you switch on the display it sends a signal to the battery pack to turn on and it's not. However how can this situation only occur after a power off due to inactivity and only after a few hours will it return to normal. If my wife remembers to turn off properly, no issues ever occur. Now I know what it is, I know how to work around, but I'll keep an eye on it to confirm the failure process and how long it is to fix itself. BTW I assume this is not by design, can someone else with an active, let the system turn off by itself, it takes 10 or 15 minutes I think.
If you look at the back of the display unit there are 7 contacts, presumably 3 serial Comms circuits to the touch button, the motor and the battery. Where the intelligence resides on the Bosch I don't know, but is likely to be in either in the display and or the motor and probably a limited amount in the battery.With microcontrollers and i2c Comms could be anywhere.
It might be worthwhile bringing the bike into any Bosch agent and have them run a diagnostic and maybe a software upgrade.
The only similar glitch I have had, is if I take the display off , without first switching it off, it might reset my daily milage.. not the odometer. Just noticed this recently.

Advertisers