Brake lever cuts off motor in wrong position

RokitL

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 30, 2016
uk
Hi all,

The right hand side brake lever of my Oxydrive CST kit is cutting off the motor when not pulled, and allows the motor to run when it is pulled on - so it is working, but just in the opposite positions. It seems to be inverted...

There are two ebrake lever sockets on the kit, and the problem occurs when inserted into either. The same problem does not occur with the left hand side brake in either sockets.

The brake lever is 'Tektro' branded, much like in the image attached below:

Is there something I need to do to the lever to make it work in the correct positions? :confused:

Thanks!

Reactions: DouglasXK

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
It's possible that it's a 3 wire/terminal switch. One contact would be common. Second would be normally closed, the third normally open. If the switch has been wrongly assembled at the factory, it would give the result you describe.
However you can make do with just the left/rear lever. I know it gives unmatched levers but, after a while, you don't care 'cos you're too busy enjoying the bike. Both my bikes have hydraulic front brakes, so the levers are unmatched.

RokitL

Oct 30, 2016
uk
Hi Benjahmin,

- The BBS cable seems to only have two connctors like in the image shown below:

- Is it common for parts to be wrongly assembled? Maybe there is something in lever that I can take apart and reassemble? I'm hesitant to take it apart just yet...:eek:

- Good point about using only one of the levers, i never thought about that... I may give that a go. Still, it would be nice to understand why the RHS lever is not working... o_O

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Not sure what the quality control is like to be honest. I've had a quick look at mine, which are Wuxing ones, can't see anything that could be easily stripped down. Could the offending item be returned for replacement?
Otherwise have a look at hydraulics for the front. Well worth it for sure stopping power. Just about any make for discs. Magura HS11 for rim brakes.

D

Deleted member 4366

I can't think of any way that what you describe could happen unless the magnet has remagnetised into a different polarity, which can happen. Oxydrive used a lot of different brakes and connectors. can you show exactly which one you have?

You can make an opportunity out of your crisis. You only need one brake switch, which you have on the back brake. cable discs are pretty useless, so why not chuck it and get a hydraulic front brake. Fitting is very straight-forward - probably about 5 minutes. take the grip off; one screw for the lever; 2 screws for the caliper, off with the old, on with the new; grip back on - done!. Then you can enjoy maintenance-free much better braking. You'll never want to go back to a cable one.

RokitL

Oct 30, 2016
uk
Hi guys, thanks for the feedback, and sorry for the late response!

- d8veh: I've attached two pics of the brake lever in question.

- Benjahmin: I'm not sure if I can return the item as its from a kit that I bought from the classifieds!

- You've both mentioned getting hydraulic disc brakes - this is something that I may consider... however, my primary reason for wanting to resolve this issue is that there is a period of about what feels like a second or two where the motor keeps running even after pedaling has seized, which I would like to have control over with the brake lever.

- I think I'm going to take the lever apart to see if there is anything in there can can be switched around to affect polarity... worth a shot :confused:

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

That sleeve nut where the cable goes in is an adjuster. maybe it's come loose or somebody screwed it in too far. Whatever, you should be able to fix it by adjustment.

RokitL

Oct 30, 2016
uk
Hi d8veh,

- You were right, the screw was an adjuster. Thanks again for the help!

- I still couldn't help taking it apart though, but I'm glad I did: I took the sensor out and glued it to the inside of the housing of my bikes existing integrated brake and gear unit - this allowed me to avoid having to swap over the lever entirely, which would have been an issure because of the gears. I also glued an magnet to the inside of the moving part of the lever.

Attachments

Advertisers