Brake levers for hydraulic brakes

I have a wisper because I have a (very) steep hill to contend with. I'm really pleased at the fact I can go up it, but coming down is also a worry! Talking with the local bike shop owner, Sarge, I'm ready to take the plunge into getting a hydraulic front brake setup. Our only question is, what lever should we use? I see there is an electrical cut-out in the lever itself - do I need to worry about replicating that with the new set up? :confused:

We've finally traced down the problem with Betty (905 City) to a fritzed controller: so who knows, after a month or so, I might actually get a ride in soon! :(

aa

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Which brakes do you currently have? I found the original brakes were very poor and the later Tektro IOx brakes much better. Whatever the brake setup you will probably find that organic pads will overheat on big hills, semi sintered will give better all round performance at a slight cost to dry weather braking.

Its a 2010 905se, so it will have the later brakes you mentioned. Anything that doesn't squeak like I've got a mouse trapped under my bum would be an improvement: I take it that's a pad-quality thing. I'm a total noob when it comes to all this bicycle stuff (I've been a motorcyclist for a long time) so I have nothing to compare it against.

Hmm - the Tektro IOx doesn't get a very good reception on the web - is that just kids having a go?

Cheers (and thanks for the reply)

aa

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Its a 2010 905se, so it will have the later brakes you mentioned. Anything that doesn't squeak like I've got a mouse trapped under my bum would be an improvement: I take it that's a pad-quality thing. I'm a total noob when it comes to all this bicycle stuff (I've been a motorcyclist for a long time) so I have nothing to compare it against.

Hmm - the Tektro IOx doesn't get a very good reception on the web - is that just kids having a go?

Cheers (and thanks for the reply)

aa
I have seen the bad reviews but don't have the experience to comment much, though they are far better than the previous caliper used and apart from the pad material I'm happy using it on steep hills.
My other experience is twin six pot calipers on motorbikes so I keep looking for more stopping power on the pushbike. I'm going to try the 906 with the Shimano brakes and if not happy upgrade to the hydraulic.
Does your bike have V brakes or disk brakes at the front?

Advertisers