brake switch for hydraulic brakes

MikeRo

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
Maldon CM8
I recently upgraded my front brake from rim to hydraulic disc. That meant the hidden wire brake sensor couldn't work, so I thought I'd post two different solutions I've tried.

1) add a cable to the hydraulic brake lever

This was pretty quick and easy and worked well- I drilled a small hole for the cable to exit and cross drilled and wired through the nipple

2) use a magnet and a hall sensor

This was also pretty easy, but you need a few tools. I liked the l.e.d. of the original hidden wire sensor, so I added one with a 1K resistor across the 5V to signal pins, so it comes on when the magnet is detected. To attach the magnet to the alloy brake lever, I stuck it to a steel bolt and stuck this into the inside of the lever with silicone. It works really well and can be adjusted by moving closer or further from the neodymium magnet- it switches when the lever comes within about 8mm of the sensor.

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Interesting as I may be electrifying my only hydraulic braked MTB.You could have used a cheap chinese thottle with a built in cut out switch. I nearly added one to a rear hub kit (bafang 350W Cassette model) but wanted to keep the considerable air freight charge down! Several dealers have said many riders do not bother with the braked swtch...just make sure the throttle is off when you brake. One less thing to go wrong!

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
...Several dealers have said many riders do not bother with the braked swtch...just make sure the throttle is off when you brake. One less thing to go wrong!
It'd be interesting to know which dealers are telling you this, 'coz they don't know what they are talking about.

The brake cut out is important because the throttles often fail wide open.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My idea is to take apart the brake lever delivered with the kit and canibalise it. I am sure that I can modify the Magura lever to accept it.

I am only putting hydraulic on the front and keeping bog standard rim brake on the rear with upgraded brake pads. I mostly brake with the front wheel - left over habit from my motorbike days.

Does this sound silly?

Tony

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
No, I'd do exactly same.

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
My idea is to take apart the brake lever delivered with the kit and canibalise it. I am sure that I can modify the Magura lever to accept it.

I am only putting hydraulic on the front and keeping bog standard rim brake on the rear with upgraded brake pads. I mostly brake with the front wheel - left over habit from my motorbike days.

Does this sound silly?

Tony
Exactly what I did on my oxydrive build. Rip the innards out of the brake handle supplied and epoxy the reed sensor in position.
Alternatively you could get a reed switch ( very cheap) and use this instead.

D

Deleted member 4366

They're the right ones. You might have to use a 10k resistor between the signal wire and the 5v to pull up the signal when off, otherwise the signal can latch on to the last condition instead of switching. The idea is that the signal should float at 5v, and make a short to ground for the brake switch to cut the power in the controller.

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Why has none of the ebike manufacturers started making hydraulic brakes with switches available, or if they are, whyare they not at a sensible price that you guys would be happy to use?

D

Deleted member 4366

Tektro and Hygia make them. I guess there's not enough volume for the others.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Old thread, but still valid. My take on this was to 3D print brackets, using a cheap PRC N.O. push to make switch.
Maybe you could submit the print file to the resources section, it might help someone.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Last edited:
Reactions: Skysurfer

Skysurfer

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2011
No link, there, can't stick a file on your f/b or Twatter a/c.
Won't attach, either (unsupported file extension). Bugger. Ho hum.
You know full well who this is... :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That is excellent work Skysurfer.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
unsupported file extension.
sorry, I forgot. Only picture files are allowed.
I guess whoever needs them will have to send you a private message.

Advertisers