Braking power

Fish2

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2017
The sunny side of the Alps
I have Shimano BR-M315 hydraulic brakes on my Cube, but the braking power feels very low.
I tried adding some oil, letting the air out, changing brake pads, cleaning the discs... Everything I could think of, but it still feels week. Actually none of the steps improved anything.

How week the brakes actually are. I can push the bike forward slightly when holding the brake with full power.
I really have to try hard, but I can get the wheel to spin a little.
Or for example, when coming to a full stop, I can not brake hard enough to come even close to lifting the rear wheel.

Are my expectations too high, or should the wheel be 100% blocked when braking fully?

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Are my expectations too high, or should the wheel be 100% blocked when braking fully?
Something is wrong. They should be locked firm when brakes are applied.

Do the levers come all the way to the bars when you pull them?

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

Something must be wrong if the brake won't lock the wheel when you're stationary. If you give under-rated brakes a hard time when riding, they can overheat and get all sorts of other problems.

Does the brake bind a little if you try and spin the wheel without applying the brake?

Try loosening the two caliper screws (radial direction ones), then hold the brake on while you re-tighten them.

• Useful

Fish2

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2017
Brakes probably did overheat a few times, but they work the same from day 1.
Without applying the brakes, the wheel spins freely. there is a small gap between the pads and the disc.

Just to clarify. The wheel does lock when brakes are applied. But the brakes let go a bit, if I push the bike hard.

• Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the calliper pistons extend and retract correctly then have a look at your disc surface, if it has been over heated the surface may have a blue/grey hue.

D

Deleted member 4366

Just to clarify. The wheel does lock when brakes are applied. But the brakes let go a bit, if I push the bike hard.
That's the bit that shows something is wrong. If you haven;t already done so, take the caliper off, remove the pads and clean all round the pistons with a toothbrush. Try some new pads. Maybe your spoilt them when you cooked them. If you cooked your brake more than once, think about sintered pads, a bigger disc or a better brake.

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and Fish2

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0290.JPG
did not last one ride with my 4 piston calipers as was cheap rotor from china.DSC_0222.JPG

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Today I had a chat with a young lad who has just started a pedelec taxi business here in town. He has one of those delta trike things weighing 130 kg powered by the Japanese mid motor (sun something?).

Guess what brake he has on the front wheel? Magura hydraulic rim brake and he can't say enough nice things about it! Of course the rims all round are ultra strong DH rims.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I have just fitted a new pr of M315's to a non assisted bike I've just built and I have M355's on my Bosch powered Cube, both bikes stop on a sixpence and quite capable of locking the wheels.
Sound to me like you have oil, grease or soap on your discs & pads ( it dose happen, a friends father once oiled his sons discs whilst we were on holiday, explaining they looked a little rusty, that was on a gold wing :eek: )

Re-reading the OP if everything is fully degreased and there's no air in the system then I'd be looking at the hoses for crimps and creases or any damage. Back in my motorbike days, inefficient brakes were often cured with new hoses.

Reactions: Fish2

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Good to read up on stuff. We have a few problems with brakes, Hubs is probably going to try sintered pads, if that don't work then better brakes are on the cards.
Thanks guys.

Fish2

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2017
I had a first ride after fixing/cleaning yesterday. After descending for a while the brakes started squealing (I hope that's the right word) (making a LOT of high pitched noise). Also I could smell them, but did not dare to touch them.

After cooling down, now I would say they work a bit better, but they started to lock/unlock/lock/unlock when braking hard. Right before I stop.

I will buy original pads today and see if that makes any difference.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Hubs had just bought some better brakes, Zee's and I've got some sintered pads. His haven't come as yet, but my new pads are fantastic, stop really well and my the squealing has stopped. May get some floating discs next. Got them from uberbike.

Related Articles

Advertisers