Brose chainring spider removal

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
I have an annoying creak which I think is coming from the crank. As it has the motor, my suspicion is that the bolts retaining the motor may be loose, It runs fine and no other issues just the creak when I put my weight on the pedals.
I have the tool to remove the cranks but I will need to remove the chain rings and spider before I can access the bolts. The chain rings should be straightforward however It looks as if I need a "castellated" spanner/tool to remove the retaining ring for the spider, does anyone know the size and where I might get one? Is this a normal thread or a left handed one? The bike is a 2017 Bulls with a Brose motor but I am nowhere near a dealer so I plan to tackle it myself, what can possibly go wrong?

Tom

D

Deleted member 4366

When I needed one of those, I took my angle-grinder to a socket. You don't need all the dogs. I think I just made 2 - or maybe 4. It worked perfectly to get the swinging arm off my Honda VFR750.

• Informative
Reactions: Tom Rae

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
Thanks again. Do you know how the Brose motor is located in the frame, I assume it will have a standard mounting method? Mine is shrouded in plastic covers which seem to require the spider to be removed to access them.
I have just found two bolts at the bottom of the motor, these were good and tight so my suspicion is that the creak is one of the many suspension bushes and not the crank! Thanks again for your help, I will post if and when I find the source

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I've never dismantled one, but according to this, there's 4 bolts- one in each corner. it looks like they're accessible by removing the far side cover in this picture. It depends whether they're nuts and bolts or whether the housing (Gehause) is threaded. If it is, you have to get the bolts from the near-side, which means removing both of those covers:

• Informative
Reactions: Tom Rae

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
d8veh, thanks again. I have checked the bottom ones and they are fine, to check the top two it looks as if I will need take the covers off. I think I will delay that for the meantime until the noise drives me crazy. Actually it has gone - for the moment.

Tom

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
It wasn't the motor as I had suspected, it was a suspension bush creaking. Liberally doused with GT 85 and peace returned. Thanks for your help though.
Tom

Advertisers