Bumping it up

Sparky12

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 26, 2014
For experimental purposes, I would be interested in how exactly existing electric bikes and bike kits could be modified to allow higher top speeds? Nothing over 25mph, mind you, but just something to allow for a little bit more speed without completely draining the battery directly. I heard something about halving the pulses provided to the computer, and think that is my best bet, has anyone here done it and/or knows how it's done? Thank you in advance!

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Which bike are you interested in and why?

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
There are two main ways of increasing speed.

If the bikes speed is controlled by a computer (typically the Bosch and Panasonics or even the Bafang BBS units) then you fool the computer.

If a bikes speed is simply the rpm of the motor maxing out (typically those bikes using Chinese hub motors (i.e. Bafang, Cute etc)), then you can use a higher voltage battery (with a possible change of controller).

The exact method for each bike will vary - what have you got your eye on?

Sparky12

Jul 26, 2014
Which bike are you interested in and why?
A Prophete, got one available.

There are two main ways of increasing speed.

If the bikes speed is controlled by a computer (typically the Bosch and Panasonics or even the Bafang BBS units) then you fool the computer.

If a bikes speed is simply the rpm of the motor maxing out (typically those bikes using Chinese hub motors (i.e. Bafang, Cute etc)), then you can use a higher voltage battery (with a possible change of controller).

The exact method for each bike will vary - what have you got your eye on?
Thank you for your reply! :) The specific pedelec is a Prophete by make, which category will it fall under? It will be my first project and I can't really afford to do it wrong however, unfortunately, so I am wondering if it is a very complicated process to those who understand the theory or is it not? And then, it isn't a very complex theory, is it? Simply influencing the pulse rate through the use of an IC, the way I understood it?

D

Deleted member 4366

Is it this one?:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/PROPHETE-Damen-Alu-City-26-E-Bike-ECC-300-Elektrofahrrad-7-Gang-Nabenschaltung/231291528433?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140107083420&meid=8595975286946633060&pid=100011&prg=20140107083420&rk=1&rkt=10&sd=360731787034

If so, the easiest way to 25mph is to throw it off the white cliffs of Dover.

What you've read about pulses doesn't apply to your bike. There's three ways that it might be limited to 15mph:

1. Software in the controller. You'd need a new controller to go faster.

2. Speed restriction wires. If it has them, you'll find them as a pair of single wires (often white) that come out of the controller, which is in a compartment under the battery. Disconnect them to derestrict.

3 Motor speed. You need a higher voltage battery to make it go proportionally faster.

The battery you have doesn't have sufficient power for 25mph.

Have a read of this thread, which should explain what you can do to go faster:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/cyclamatic-the-beastamatic-is-dead-long-live-the-beastamatic.9857/

Sparky12

Jul 26, 2014
Is it this one?:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/PROPHETE-Damen-Alu-City-26-E-Bike-ECC-300-Elektrofahrrad-7-Gang-Nabenschaltung/231291528433?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140107083420&meid=8595975286946633060&pid=100011&prg=20140107083420&rk=1&rkt=10&sd=360731787034

If so, the easiest way to 25mph is to throw it off the white cliffs of Dover.

What you've read about pulses doesn't apply to your bike. There's three ways that it might be limited to 15mph:

1. Software in the controller. You'd need a new controller to go faster.

2. Speed restriction wires. If it has them, you'll find them as a pair of single wires (often white) that come out of the controller, which is in a compartment under the battery. Disconnect them to derestrict.

3 Motor speed. You need a higher voltage battery to make it go proportionally faster.

The battery you have doesn't have sufficient power for 25mph.

Have a read of this thread, which should explain what you can do to go faster:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/cyclamatic-the-beastamatic-is-dead-long-live-the-beastamatic.9857/
Many thanks for your reply! It is a 36V 10Ah battery, could this essentially be the restrictor? The motor is supposibly 250watt however. Was quite hoping the battery shouldn't have to be replaced, as I'm very much so on a budget. Will have a browse through the thread.

Last edited:

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Or if you have a bike with a King Meter a simple settings change will allow higher speed. I just happen to have such a machine in the classifieds.....

Shameless thats me.

D

Deleted member 4366

Until we know what bike you have, we can't tell you anything.

Sparky12

Jul 26, 2014
Until we know what bike you have, we can't tell you anything.
It is one of those that you've posted a link of, D8veh, possibly a slightly different model but basically one of them. They are supposibly German-made.

D

Deleted member 4366

In that case you're only hope is the two wires at the controller.

Sparky12

Jul 26, 2014
In that case you're only hope is the two wires at the controller.
It could be as simple as that then? Thank you very much, D8veh! How could I actually identify the controller however?

Edit:

Nevermind, here we go! Thanks again :)

D

Deleted member 4366

I couldn't see the two wires in that video. The controller is standard, so you could use a diifferent one. The S06S from BMSbattery would be a good upgrade, or the KU65 if money's tight.

There's still a chance that the speed is limited by the motor winding. Motor speed is proortional to voltage, so lift the wheel off the ground and spin it to maximum with a fully charged battery. Then do it again when the battery's nearly flat. If it goes at the same speed, it's limited by controller software.

Sparky12

Jul 26, 2014
I couldn't see the two wires in that video. The controller is standard, so you could use a diifferent one. The S06S from BMSbattery would be a good upgrade, or the KU65 if money's tight.

There's still a chance that the speed is limited by the motor winding. Motor speed is proortional to voltage, so lift the wheel off the ground and spin it to maximum with a fully charged battery. Then do it again when the battery's nearly flat. If it goes at the same speed, it's limited by controller software.
The difference seems to be about $3, so I'd rather go for the better one even if it is a tad bit more expensive in this case. But basically what these devices will do is directly remove the restriction that the previous controller imposed on the system? Thank you by the way!

D

Deleted member 4366

Do the speed test first to confirm it. The S06S requires that you order a wheel-speed sensor and LCD as well, so the price is much higher. The KU65 is fully automatic, so plug and play (hopefully). The S06S sometimes needs a bit of wiring and testing to work.

Sparky12

Jul 26, 2014

By the way, it's only at a moment before the battery goes flat (blinking red light) that the bike starts to slow down, not any sooner.

Sparky12

Jul 26, 2014
This just reminded me. If you have a LSDZS (written on the PCB) controller, it might have a jumper on the PCB that restricts the speed. Have a look at the pictures down the page here:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/remove-15mph-speed-limiter.15449/page-3#post-228417
Switching the controller will do the trick too though, right? Wouldn't want to **** off my mate by playing with the controller first then having it go wrong and me not having a spare controller about, you know.. Think I will order one, have to order them in advance anyways.

Advertisers