Busch & Muller ebike horn

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Guys, some assistance please. I have purchased the Busch and Muller horn mentioned above which is designed to go into the main wiring of the bike. I don't want to do that, so, given the horn is rated at 6v to 36v, I have decided to run it off a simple PP9 operation, as a number of others have done.
The horn arrived yesterday. It is a simple 2 wire operation and a wired button to operate it with. Simple you would have thought.

So, yesterday i did a simple test before I installed it on the bike. When I connect the horn to the PP9 it goes off continuously and the switch appears to do nothing. If I reverse the wiring, nothing works. So, I assumed it was a short circuit on the switch. If I connect a meter to the wires on ohms, I get no reading until the switch is pressed, which is what I would expect.

So, I am at a loss of what to do. Am I missing something obvious here? Thanks in anticipation. Dave

Last edited:

Twinkleten

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2015
Devon EX8
Guys, some assistance please. I have purchased the Busch and Muller horn mentioned above which is designed to go into the main wiring of the bike. I don't want to do that, so, given the horn is rated at 6v to 36v, I have decided to run it off a simple PP9 operation, as a number of others have done.
The horn arrived yesterday. It is a simple 2 wire operation and a wired button to operate it with. Simple you would have thought.

So, yesterday i did a simple test before I installed it on the bike. When I connect the horn to the PP9 it goes off continuously and the switch appears to do nothing. If I reverse the wiring, nothing works. So, I assumed it was a short circuit on the switch. If I connect a meter to the wires on ohms, I get no reading until the switch is pressed, which is what I would expect.

So, I am at a loss of what to do. Am I missing something obvious here? Thanks in anticipation. Dave

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Good idea, but its all fixed and sealed. I am dying to break it open and see what is going on in there, but, waiting to hear what the retailer is going to do first

Twinkleten

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2015
Devon EX8
No need to take it apart., just reverse the wiring to it. Alternatively when testing the switch with the ohmmeter swap the leads over in case the switch is polarity conscious I.e. contains a diode.

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Thanks, if I reverse the wiring on the battery, then nothing works at all, even when the switch is operated.

If I put the ohm meter on the same wires, in one direction I can see the switch operating with a reading, if I then reverse the leads on the meter, the switch does nothing and no reading.

Advertisers