Buying a BATTERY SECOND HAND

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
I'm thinking about buying a second hand battery for my Bosch motored Trek. Are there any checks a dealer could do to check the state of the battery?
The seller has a picture of some data, presumably taken from a dealer portal, is there any other information that's important but not shown?

Attachments

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
looks like it is a dealer report done with the bosch software as there is no other way to do it as the bms is locked down to the bosch system.

just depends on the price as for 300 quid you can get the batt recelled at insat.

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
This a second battery to increase playtime, there's nothing wrong with my current battery. Price is slightly more than that recell price.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well you cant buy the bms or case so you dont have any diy options but i have a 2014 batt that is still working fine but down on range given its age.

D

Deleted member 25121

Why would anybody sell a good battery rather than a complete bike and battery?

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
Good question, which is why I'm wondering if there's a way to check if it actually is a good battery.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

D

Deleted member 25121

Maybe selling because their bike got stolen....
Of the bike got badly damaged, or it is/was a spare battery that's no longer needed, or it was stolen, or...

My point was that it would be good to know why it's being sold.

D

Deleted member 25121

The battery has had 57.4 complete charge cycles, for a comparison Riese & Muller warranty their bikes, which use Bosch systems, to have a capacity of 60% after 2 years or 500 complete charge cycles (whichever comes first). So that battery is some way into it's life.

I suggest you ask about why the battery is being sold (see above) and also how old it is.

Whether or not it's good value for money depends on how much you pay for it (of course) and also what use you'd put it to.

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
I asked him the age and the reason for sale, this is the response;
hi
not sure when the battery was made.
it’s been updated with latest software and amount of charges is in ad and battery is healthy with no issues.
being sold separately as now surplus.
thanks.

D

Deleted member 25121

That all sounds very vague to me, it's as though he's trying his best to avoid answering both questions.

I wouldn't go anywhere near it myself.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
best you can do is buy it and then get it checked buy a bosch dealer to confirm what is in the add as there is no date on them just where there made.

my 2014 batt was made in Poland and my 2017 batt was made in Hungary if that is of any use.

Related Articles

Advertisers