Cannondale Neo EQ creaking bottom bracket?

DroidOne

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
Stockholm (Sweden)
I'm experiencing a creaking sound that seems to be coming from the bottom bracket and/or crankset on my Cannondale Quick Neo EQ (2019). It comes and goes and is only apparent when I put some weight on the pedals. Once it starts it goes on for a while (maybe 10-15 rotations) and happens once every rotation and with the pedals at about a 90 degree angle.

Hard to tell more precisely I'm afraid. Can't really hear if it's from the right or left side for example.

Bought it last summer, so it's not even a year old yet. Just passed the 1000 km mark....

Where should I start? Is this a common issue? I'm not very technical, but I can remove the crankset if need be. Anything else would probably need to be handled by the shop as I only own a basic set of tools.

What I've tried so far:
  • Removed and cleaned seat post/made sure it was properly mounted (didn't make a difference, as expected).

Last edited:

MarkOpti

Just Joined
Apr 14, 2021
DroidOne. I have exactly the same problem with my 2020 Cannondale Moterra Neo 5. I love the bike otherwise.

I took it to REI and their "best tech" worked on it. They could not fix it or pinpoint where it comes from. They told me that they need to start taking it apart and replace block by block. Which is no-go for me. I am thinking of returning the bike ( since REI has 1 year return policy) . Unfortunately I cannot buy now a replacment bike becuase they are out of stock ( sold out) and Cannondale does not know when they get them.

If you find a resolution could you PLEASE share it with me.

MarkOpti

Just Joined
Apr 14, 2021
Update: After hours of googling with different terms seems found post that provides solution:

Attachments

• Informative
Reactions: georgehenry

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Are the crank bolts tight? I've experienced a creak there, cured by tightening crank bolts.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Good to hopefully know what the problem is, but if it is really the engine mounting bolt holes in the wrong place rather than something more simple, that would be a case to reject the bike, get your money back and find something else while you can.

CycleAcrossAmerica

Just Joined
Oct 17, 2021
I had a similar creaking with my Cannondale Neo1. It was driving me crazy. I was sure it was the bottom bracket or motor mounting bolts. It turns out it wasn't the motor mounting bolts, bottom bracket, or where the motor was mounted. It was the battery rubbing in/on the frame. To check to see if this is your problem grab the battery and try to move it in the frame. If you hear a creaking, that is your problem.

Advertisers