Cannot make my New Oxygen S-Cross MTB do more than 20mph.

Clare the Rear

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2016
Ipswich
Hello to all reading this. Just bought myself an Oxygen S-Cross MTB. I've set the wheel size to the smallest setting 18in, but the motor is still cutting out at only 20mph. I've read on this forum of people getting late twenties out of their Oxy S-Cross. Am i doing something wrong with the settings?

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I sure d8veh would love to play with your settings :oops:.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I tested one out the other day it went over 20 but had already been derestricted...so it should be possible but don't know how

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, you need the secret settings rather than change the wheel size, though changing the wheel size has the advantage of making the display show 15.5 mph, when you're actually doing 23.3 mph, so doesn't look illegal. Where did you get the 20 mph from? If it was from the display, it won't be right, will it?

• Informative
Reactions: IR772 and LeighPing

Clare the Rear

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2016
Ipswich
Yes, you need the secret settings rather than change the wheel size, though changing the wheel size has the advantage of making the display show 15.5 mph, when you're actually doing 23.3 mph, so doesn't look illegal. Where did you get the 20 mph from? If it was from the display, it won't be right, will it?
I've fitted a separate wireless Cateye computer that matches the Oxy speedo then gives me a true reading when i change the wheel size. Are the secret settings available to the general public? Or can i join the privileged few... Clare x

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
*cough*
Hold set and + for a few seconds, screen flashes 5 -
use -/+ and SET keys to set 2-digit code (trial and error, mine was 12, though I could swear it was in the 90's fist time I did it -possible way for Oxygen to check if this menu accessed or my paranoia?)
Access magic menu, use -/+ & SET keys to adjust speed settings, -two sections, think one is peddle assist max and the second is throttle assist max.
Press & hold SET when finished to return to normal screen mode.

Excuse me, not sure where that came from...

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
2 digits is too easy to guess, they should have made it 4 digit password.

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
I would be interested to know if the passwords change from the 1st to 2nd times the menu is accessed. I swear mine did.

From a manufactures perspective I'm unsure how you could effectively prevent people from modifying their settings/components. I wonder if it is better to let it be easily cracked so people are less tempted to go further, the effect of which may effect safe operation of the kit.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
From a manufactures perspective I'm unsure how you could effectively prevent people from modifying their settings/components. I wonder if it is better to let it be easily cracked so people are less tempted to go further, the effect of which may effect safe operation of the kit.
That would be extremely difficult, judging by all the efforts that Bosch put into protecting their bikes and the numerous dongles to defeat the protection.
I am affected by the same issue. Beside the legal issue, the economic argument for us is multiple. We need to overbuild sufficiently to ensure that the bike is safe when derestricted. So out V-brakes, in hydraulic brakes. We also likely have to spend more in support of those who derestrict our bikes.

Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Protecting settings is a EU directive requirement. Please discuss the implications of that on the appropriate thread :rolleyes:.

My kits came unprotected so no messy code number to find or remember. Both kits arrived with the cut off set to 72 km/h (45 mph) out of the box...

Clare the Rear

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2016
Ipswich
*cough*
Hold set and + for a few seconds, screen flashes 5 -
use -/+ and SET keys to set 2-digit code (trial and error, mine was 12, though I could swear it was in the 90's fist time I did it -possible way for Oxygen to check if this menu accessed or my paranoia?)
Access magic menu, use -/+ & SET keys to adjust speed settings, -two sections, think one is peddle assist max and the second is throttle assist max.
Press & hold SET when finished to return to normal screen mode.

Excuse me, not sure where that came from...
Thank you. But i'm still only getting 22mph max before the motor cuts out. I've put in the settings correctly with a choice on both settings of 63.something mph!! I gather that choosing this super high speed in both sections should give me late twenties mph? Clare x

Last edited:

Philoneill

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 14, 2019
I have just bought the oxygen s cross I did the code thing , 12 worked for me , the speed seems to top out at about 22mph on the flat, I fitted a throttle and it still achieves the same speed, if you go down hill the speed increases as you would expect,if you lift the back wheel the speed gets to just over 23mph and thats on max power setting ,so I think thats all the motor can put out,anyway when you have spent years doing 15.5mph 21 if great, on another tack do you thing brexit will mean we can ignore the stupid 15.5 anyway and all put throttles back on without plod chasing us down the road.

Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Steve H

Jul 12, 2017
Manchester
I find it utterly bizarre reading all about the speed restrictions on eBikes. My granddaughter wanted a pair of these powered skate things from Smyths. They are battery powered gizmos that strap to your feet, and do up to 10mph!

A kid aged 3 and over can do 10mph on clip on skates, but an adult can only do 15mph on a pushbike....crazy!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I find it utterly bizarre reading all about the speed restrictions on eBikes. My granddaughter wanted a pair of these powered skate things from Smyths. They are battery powered gizmos that strap to your feet, and do up to 10mph!

A kid aged 3 and over can do 10mph on clip on skates, but an adult can only do 15mph on a pushbike....crazy!
the law does not stop you ride the bike at over 15mph, it only requires the motor to be cut off at that speed.
You can go faster as much as you want, just on your own steam, pedaling, not motoring.
It's a concession that you can ride your e-bike unregistered, uninsured. Let's do our best to keep it. We don't want to upset or scare other people sharing the same cyclepaths.

Steve H

Jul 12, 2017
Manchester
Oh yeah I get that. It just boggles my mind that a small child can go at a relatively much more dangerous speed under battery power

Philoneill

Feb 14, 2019
I have just bought the oxygen s cross I did the code thing , 12 worked for me , the speed seems to top out at about 22mph on the flat, I fitted a throttle and it still achieves the same speed, if you go down hill the speed increases as you would expect,if you lift the back wheel the speed gets to just over 23mph and thats on max power setting ,so I think thats all the motor can put out,anyway when you have spent years doing 15.5mph 21 if great, on another tack do you thing brexit will mean we can ignore the stupid 15.5 anyway and all put throttles back on without plod chasing us down the road.

Philoneill

Feb 14, 2019
Update after a full charge the back wheel of the ground clocked at 27.7mph.with me riding on the flat with no headwind 25mph. On Average though around 22mph, I did it for curiosity.but have dropped it back to 15.5, what's the point of having a pushbike otherwise

Reactions: Steve H

Advertisers