Cantilever brake adjustment

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
My wife's approx 10 years old bike has cantiler brakes, which I tried to adjust.

They're Low profile according to Sheldon Brown Cantilever Geometry

After trying to adjust and reading that article I now realise that this is a formidable task.

Are there simple V-brakes with just two moving arms that will fit on the original bosses?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry I can't help much here Erik. The problem is that the brake bosses are variable by manufacturer as well as type, Shimano's diffferent from Tektro's etc. The cantilever bosses may be different again, so measuring them will be the best way to check.

However, if you buy a V brake and at the same time the mounting bosses, these screw into the forks and are a standard thread. In alloy forks they can be very difficult to get out though, the threads often seized into place, so best to check that first.

Most V brakes have very generous brake pad vertical adjustment scope, so any of the simple arm type would probably be suitable.

I've also found the forum link below on the cantilever adapter mentioned on Sheldon's site, generally thumbs down, but some useful advice and links on alternatives. Scroll down the page for the advice:

cantilever change

Hope this is some help.

Last edited:
M

mk1

Hello Erik, I think you might have to replace the levers as well though, as the cantilever type levers will not pull enough cable through to work the V brakes properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No problem Martin, your advice is right and I'd forgotten to mention it.

Just as well you did.

Advertisers