Carrera Crossfire Battery

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
Hi I am on ,my second E bike the first was a Trek bought second hand, it was fine until the battery graduaiy started to fade and I checked the price of a replacement, ouch !
Decided to move on and aas I am not a heavy user chose the Carrera crossfire form halfords, its fine and good value for money, its pretty hilly where I live and I get 30+ miles per charge.
I see the technology is moving on a pace and wonder about when I need a new battery, or even a spare to make longer trips.
I saw this one on E-bay and wondered if anyone out there knows if its OK for the Suntour system used by Halfords? : LINK
Also wondered if anyone has had one re built? There seemed to be possibilities to get the Trek one done with more modern cells giving a higher capacity.

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
The one in the link should work fine with the Suntour system used in the original Crossfire-e - it's 36V and uses the Phylion SF-06 case.

I have not used this particular battery with a Crossfire-e, but have used one that was supplied with my Greenway bike with the Crossfire-e with no issues.

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
The one in the link should work fine with the Suntour system used in the original Crossfire-e - it's 36V and uses the Phylion SF-06 case.

I have not used this particular battery with a Crossfire-e, but have used one that was supplied with my Greenway bike with the Crossfire-e with no issues.
Thanks for your reply, I looked through the feedback for this vendor, and found one that mentioned the crossfire saying it works fine. I am trawling through the internet and get the impression that it should be ok.
I also contacted the vendor and asked if they knew for sure, just waiting for a reply.
I am starting to think that it may be an idea to get one before they disappear from the market, which would be a shame as I am quite fond of my e bike even though I dont use it all the time here is the original battery.20200420_110417.jpg

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I agree with Redcup: We both have the same 2017 GW Cross-bike using the Phylion SF-06 batteries, but "not-smart" BMS versions... but if Redcup's GW Cross battery also worked fine on his Crossfire-e (which is supplied with a "smart" BMS), it should be fine.

YosePower are doing them too for a similar price. Both listings show these Phylion batteries have the Smart BMS fitted, so IMHO it's a pretty safe bet provided your Crossfire-e is from the same period of time, which your picture suggests it is (the newest Crossfire-e's have redesigned batteries). Both Elife and YosePower accept returns too, so it's not much of a gamble, and against Halfords £400 - when they have them - it looks a bit of a bargain.

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
I agree with Redcup: We both have the same 2017 GW Cross-bike using the Phylion SF-06 batteries, but "not-smart" BMS versions... but if Redcup's GW Cross battery also worked fine on his Crossfire-e (which is supplied with a "smart" BMS), it should be fine.

YosePower are doing them too for a similar price. Both listings show these Phylion batteries have the Smart BMS fitted, so IMHO it's a pretty safe bet provided your Crossfire-e is from the same period of time, which your picture suggests it is (the newest Crossfire-e's have redesigned batteries). Both Elife and YosePower accept returns too, so it's not much of a gamble, and against Halfords £400 - when they have them - it looks a bit of a bargain.
I actually found my receipt for the bike last week, it was bought in July 2017 so assuming it was made first or send quarter 2017.
Have not used it much and at the moment I am trying to deep cycle the battery by running it until it cuts out then charging to the max (usually indicates 99%) I get just over 30mls at the moment but I am about 90 kgs and it is not very flat around here.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
it looks a bit of a bargain.
I agree, esp. with a charger and built with decent Samsung cells. I believe Yose and Elife are related companies.

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
I agree, esp. with a charger and built with decent Samsung cells. I believe Yose and Elife are related companies.
Yes last I saw advertised by Halfords was £400 but they dont even show that now,

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I actually found my receipt for the bike last week, it was bought in July 2017 so assuming it was made first or send quarter 2017.
Have not used it much and at the moment I am trying to deep cycle the battery by running it until it cuts out then charging to the max (usually indicates 99%) I get just over 30mls at the moment but I am about 90 kgs and it is not very flat around here.
Don't deep cycle it more than once, running right to cutoff is not good for the battery.

A bit over 30 miles per charge on a 400wh battery for a heavyish person in somewhat hilly conditions and low to middle range of assist sound about right. A quick check on https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/ gives 33miles, and that pretty much agrees with what we see (Motus Tour)

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
Don't deep cycle it more than once, running right to cutoff is not good for the battery.

A bit over 30 miles per charge on a 400wh battery for a heavyish person in somewhat hilly conditions and low to middle range of assist sound about right. A quick check on https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/ gives 33miles, and that pretty much agrees with what we see (Motus Tour)
Looking at that it seems pretty fair.
My understanding was that the battery doesn't actually run all the way down, the internal protection shuts it down with some reserve, I did the last bit up and down my street and then put it on charge immediately, similarly when its charged I take it straight back out and run it down just a little to avoid storing it completely full.
Looks like its holding up pretty well.

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
Haven't been on here for a while, but just wanted to report that I received a new battery today, I ordered it from Ali express it cost £183.41 with shipping .
Tried it on my bike and it works but not done a full test yet, obviously I can't comment on the quality at this stage but at least I have a spare battery, which halfords don't seem to be able to supply now, and cost a fortune when they did have them.
Electric bikes are a great idea but it's a pain finding that your battery is obsolete and the only practical solution is a new bike, hopefully mine will go for a while longer now.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The price is a good bit cheaper then the Halfrauds price, and a good find that the bike can keep working. Don't treat it as a spare though and use it alternately with the older one.

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
The price is a good bit cheaper then the Halfrauds price, and a good find that the bike can keep working. Don't treat it as a spare though and use it alternately with the older one.
Yes I think you are right, probably using both is the best way.
I am looking forward to testing it to see how it compares to the original battery, it's quite a bit cheaper than the original, so I don't anticipate miracles, but let's hope for the best, I think the cells are getting better all the time.
I wonder how many people have these bikes with batteries coming to the end of their life, nice that there is a possibility to get more time out of them.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Haven't been on here for a while, but just wanted to report that I received a new battery today, I ordered it from Ali express it cost £183.41 with shipping .
Tried it on my bike and it works but not done a full test yet, obviously I can't comment on the quality at this stage but at least I have a spare battery, which halfords don't seem to be able to supply now, and cost a fortune when they did have them.
Electric bikes are a great idea but it's a pain finding that your battery is obsolete and the only practical solution is a new bike, hopefully mine will go for a while longer now.
A link to your battery may be of help to others if they are getting hard to find.

Advertisers