Carrera Crossfire best kit..Help

Harrie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 23, 2020
Hi folks, I have a Carrera Crossfie 2018 model that has an E42 fault, which is the motor going by manual. The backwheel spins freely in forward direction but not backwards , very tough. I read somewhere that if you disconnect the 9 pin plug and it spins freely backwards the it is the mosfets in controller but that is not the case. It does not spin freely backwards whether connected or not. I belive something faulty in motor hub, Hall sensors or coils short circuit. Any ideas.
I am not too keen or experienced in dismantling motor.
What would you advise would be the best kit for this bike with existing motor which is ,
Carrera Down-Tube Ebike Battery (Pre 2019)
  • 36 V
  • 11.6 Ah
  • 418Wh
Many thanks.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There won't be anything wrong with the motor. Most likely, it's the connector under the left side chainstay. Before spending loads of money, try cutting off the connectors and soldering the wires together. When you expose the connector, you might see something wrong, like a pin backed out or it not pushed together properly. I think the problem might be that the wires are pulled all the time, so if you see something that can be fixed, think about tying it in such a way that the wires are pushed in rather than pulled out.

Please let us know how you get on. We get this fault a lot, but nobody ever tells us that it was solved after we tell them how to solve it.

Harrie

Oct 23, 2020
Thanks for reply. I have pulled the connector apart there are no pins bent and they are all shiny and making good contact. I was not sure about the back wheel not spinning freely backwards.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I was not sure about the back wheel not spinning freely backwards.
That's normal. you should feel the gears turning, but it shouldn't be notchy or stiff.

It's the back of the pins you have to check. When you plug it back in, does the motor work again or is it still Kaput?

Harrie

Oct 23, 2020
Hi , I have a working Carrera Crossfire and the wheel spins backwards on that although with slight resistance but this bike with the fault does not spin at all.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Disconnect the motor connector to see if there's a difference. If the motor frees up, there's a problem with the moror cable or in the controller.

Advertisers