Carrera crossfire/vulcan tuning

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
I have an idea to derestrict the bike without having to damage the original setup in case you want to go back. You remove display, controller, pedal sensor, basically the guts of the bike but leave the motor in place. You may have to cut the battery wires and add connectors for those as I think they are just soldered. Basically buy the connector the same as the motor, I believe this is the one

https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/index.php/en/cables/motor-cables/higo-l1019-detail

Buy a suitable unrestricted controller, display and pedal assist to match, solder connectors onto the motor wires and battery terminals to match the controllers inputs. Then plug everything in and fit it. You will now have a speed configurable setup with the original motor and battery. Its a fair bit of modification but it's the only workaround I can see working. Of course this sort of tinkering will void the warranty, there is some sort of anti vandal style paint under the controller which I believe is to show tamper evidence. I may try this, I may not. Tempted to just buy a second 1500w toy as the police don't seem to care here as long as you ride sensibly...

Gaurav Suri

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 27, 2018
Gents,
Long story short - I have been in touch with SR Suntor regarding this and was directed to look at the software to re calibrate the speed limit.

Do we know the make and model of the controller in carrera crossfire e?

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Gents,
Long story short - I have been in touch with SR Suntor regarding this and was directed to look at the software to re calibrate the speed limit.

Do we know the make and model of the controller in carrera crossfire e?
EBCT14-SR3604PHC-485-27.5, the 27.5 can be replaced by whatever wheelsize it is

Gaurav Suri

Jun 27, 2018
Thats seems like SR Suntour proprietary part number. We need to know the controller's manufacturer name and model number so we could connect with the manufacturer directly or search for calibration software on dark web!!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You will have to open the controller up and look on the pcb board edge as often it is there you will find the manufacturer website printed.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
You will have to open the controller up and look on the pcb board edge as often it is there you will find the manufacturer website printed.
The pcb is potted in silicone so that may be difficult

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
There should be a simple trick to get around this. How does the bike keeps the track of the speed? technical documentation doesn't list any speed sensors. In fact, they call PAS as sensor stopper. In theory, If we manage to cut the speed sensor signal it should be ok then.

https://vdocuments.site/srs-eb-ti-r-150414-1.html
The speed sensor is likely the white wire from the motor, the other small wires are the halls. If you are going to cut this make sure you can rejoin it as the controller may just throw an error code

Gaurav Suri

Jun 27, 2018
upload_2018-7-25_12-53-46.png

Seems like a speed sensor is within the motor. Has anyone yet tried to cut the white cable yet?? since we know the speed sensor is within the motor either we need a dongle to sit between the motor and controller that can reduce the speed single past 15.5mph.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
View attachment 25966

Seems like a speed sensor is within the motor. Has anyone yet tried to cut the white cable yet?? since we know the speed sensor is within the motor either we need a dongle to sit between the motor and controller that can reduce the speed single past 15.5mph.
If you are not bothered about warranty you could try and just cut the wire. If it doesn't work simply twist them back together and add a small amount of solder, finish with heat shrink or electrical tape. I would try but mine is due it's service soon so don't want to tamper just yet

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
What we need is a inline din style connector with the white pin left unconnected save having to cut any wires, would work as a test. Anyone with this bike have any electronics skills to do this?

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
What we need is a inline din style connector with the white pin left unconnected save having to cut any wires, would work as a test. Anyone with this bike have any electronics skills to do this?
If someone can advise on pins that would fit the connectors I could probably fashion something

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Breakthrough!?

I found the speed sensor, you can block the pins with a piece of latex, i used a popped balloon. The motor still seems to ramp down and stop but the mph on screen remained at 0. Can't say if it definitely stopped because it's so quiet, riding faster seemed easier but I've just put slicker tyres on. More tests are needed. I am not sure how to get an image up but it's the small pin on the far left in the row of 4 that are together

Last edited:

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
After another ride I don't think it's doing anything. The speed must be governed in another way

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Have been for another ride. It feels different with the sensor blocked, it still throttles down, but it feels like it's giving a gentle push after that, I think I can feel the motor humming, but I'm not sure. It's almost like it knows it's being tricked and has a fallback method to keep the speed down. Could be placebo, I'm tired from a cruise and the differences are subtle

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Could be that the motor winding speed has maxed out. Use a gps speedo (phone) to check your speed, see if its slightly faster with a fully charged battery. Could also be that the hall sensors give the speed information to the controller and your sensor wire is only for speed display.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Could be that the motor winding speed has maxed out. Use a gps speedo (phone) to check your speed, see if its slightly faster with a fully charged battery. Could also be that the hall sensors give the speed information to the controller and your sensor wire is only for speed display.
Yeah I was thinking that. My gps doesn't work so can't test it.

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
Have been for another ride. It feels different with the sensor blocked, it still throttles down, but it feels like it's giving a gentle push after that, I think I can feel the motor humming, but I'm not sure. It's almost like it knows it's being tricked and has a fallback method to keep the speed down. Could be placebo, I'm tired from a cruise and the differences are subtle
A 250W motor with a 36 Volt battery will top out at about 20mph even without a restriction.

Advertisers