Carrera crossfire/vulcan tuning

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Hi anon4,

I have a spare Crossfire-e (HESC) hub motor wheel (same as your Vulcan) that I'm thinking of using with a donor bike (Boardman Hybrid), and I have a couple of standard Hailong 36v 13ah downtube batteries I can use.
So I only need a controller, pas sensor and display to get up and running, but I don't know what controller to use or what type of cable (or adapter) I need in order to connect to the motor.
I'd be very grateful if you can advise on how you connected to the motor with the controller and any tips on what controller to get (and lcd)

Cheers

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The motor is completely standard, so you can use any controller you want. I'd use a KT 15 or 17 amp sine wave one from PSWPower. If you have the long motor cable, you can solder the wires directly to the ones on the controller, otherwise, you'll need to buy an extension cable and solder it in.

The standard connector on the Suntour motor is a bit dodgy, so I'd cut it off and solder the extension wire there.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Thanks vfr400 for the advice and links to the items.
Ideally I don't want to cut the end off the cable from the motor as I have a crossfire-e that is my daily commute so if I need to use the spare wheel for that I can. I was hoping to find a compatible connector to plug into the wheel lead and use the other end of that to the controller (would of course wire that in however needed) I would need to know the pin outs

Cheers

Ps are you dv8h from before under a different name? If so, welcome back, and it's great to have you and your really helpful in depth knowledge here again

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
vfr400 is the Dr Who of the forums, who knows who he'll come back as next.......

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Thanks vfr400 for the advice and links to the items.
Ideally I don't want to cut the end off the cable from the motor as I have a crossfire-e that is my daily commute so if I need to use the spare wheel for that I can. I was hoping to find a compatible connector to plug into the wheel lead and use the other end of that to the controller (would of course wire that in however needed) I would need to know the pin outs

Cheers

Ps are you dv8h from before under a different name? If so, welcome back, and it's great to have you and your really helpful in depth knowledge here again
Those connectors are really hard to get. If you can solder, just change both to the common 9 pin type

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Those connectors are really hard to get. If you can solder, just change both to the common 9 pin type
Thanks anon4. How do I know what wires connect to what on the common 9 pin, is it all trial and error, or are they colour coded ? If not what did did you use?

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Thanks anon4. How do I know what wires connect to what on the common 9 pin, is it all trial and error, or are they colour coded ? If not what did did you use?
Just match the colours, they are the same brand connector (Juliet/higo)

Keifling

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 27, 2019
Has anyone else done this now? I'm thinking of attempting but dont fully understand where everything goes. Can this be done without cutting off existing plugs?

luki527

Apr 28, 2019
Hello!
At the beginning I'm sorry for my English.

The crank sensor broke down quickly. I repaired it several times, glued the casing, repaired cables.
A few days ago it broke again. I glued the housing again.
Did not work.
One of the sensors was filled (i don't know what word I can use, gap was dirty). I could not clean it, so I cut a piece of plastic from every sensors (part where the gap is).
I installed everything and after a short drive the housing cracked but got stuck (turned 180 degrees).
And now an interesting thing is happening: when I press the right pedal there is power. When I press the left one is gone.

The battery uses twice as less, it drives a little heavier, but not very much.

I do not know how this happened.

Now I am waiting for the PAS sensor.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
TS sensors detect pressure/input from both cranks so if one side fails you will still get 50% of your assisted input.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Here you can see how the torque sensor works. The controller gives power when the teeth move through the sensor. The amount of power is determined by the gap between the teeth, which is smaller when you press hard on the pedal. The teeth are on two pieces. One set is attached to the chainwheel and the other set is attached to the pedals. There are springs between the two sets, so when you press on the pedal, one set moves in relation to the other, which has the affect of narrowing the gap. Dismantle the chainwheel, then clean and lubricate everything in there.

luki527

Apr 28, 2019
I won't play with it anymore. Inside is dirty, but it will soon montage the PAS. I have repaired it too many times.

What is the controller maximum current (in Amps)?

luki527

Apr 28, 2019
Anyone for sale a sensor from this crank?
Possibly someone print the housing for the module?

luki527

Apr 28, 2019
To the controller can I use the Sa Suntour display (the one from the bicycle)?

luki527

Apr 28, 2019
Hello! My English is poor, but I will try to describe a groundbreaking discovery.

Bicycle: Carrera Vulcan.

I have repaired the crank sensor on my bike many times, so I ordered a new controller.
Today I rided on broken bike (but I connected the battery and display).
The chain fell and ripped the cable.

I should saw the e21 or e22 error but nothing has appeared.
I recorded the first film then. I accidentally connected two cables and the bike started to move by itself.
I started to combine them in different ways.
I connected two and checked if the "this small" button works.
The bike then rode 27 - 28 km / h.

It works like a throttle. They often point out errors and need to be turned off. I discovered that when I turn on the "sport" mode and maintain 20 km / h, there are no errors.

In the 4th film, the entire route is without pedaling.

Reactions: Keifling

luki527

Apr 28, 2019
You need to connect two cables from the PAS sensor. I don't remember which ones they are.

Keifling

Jan 27, 2019
this existence of this 20mph suntour bike in the US suggests to me the bike can be speed limited on the controller.

Advertisers