Carrera crossfire/vulcan tuning

planter87

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 13, 2020
60rpm seems a bit low for me i like to have a bit of momentum built up for tackling hills. but if its too quick with 40 tooth i'll see what else is about and swap it over.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
60rpm seems a bit low for me i like to have a bit of momentum built up for tackling hills. but if its too quick with 40 tooth i'll see what else is about and swap it over.
If 60 rpm is too low, you can change to the next gear down. You don't have to stay in top gear all the time.

planter87

Nov 13, 2020
Crank set finally arrived, cheap bit will do.

steady 20mph on the flat. Interesting if the output meter on the lcd screen i had to get is accurate, full throttle drops to 50-60 watts on the flat but 450 when going up hills. Unfortunately the size of the throttle means i had to move the gear shift into an awkward position. Not really fond of a left hand thumb throttle as it goes completely against what im used to with motorbikes etc.
anyway do you know if i put a pas sensor on will it override the throttle or throttle override the pas? Its a little odd getting used to pedalling and controlling speed via throttle instead of pedalling with assist but using throttle for hills and speed bursts for example.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The amount of power you get from any electric motor depends on its speed. The faster it goes, the less power you can get. By power, I mean the power from the battery that you can feel that accelerates you forward and you read on the LCD, not the academic power calculated from torque x rpm.

It's not a good idea to control the bike with a throttle. They're generally not strong enough, only being made of thin plastic. If you hit a bump while holding full throttle, you can snap the plastic, which will leave you stranded. A pedal sensor is a hundred times better, so fit one as soon as you can.

planter87

Nov 13, 2020
i will but i fitted a twist throttle not a flimsy thumb throttle, it looks sturdy enough but i wouldnt like to rely on it for every day use. does allow burnouts on the spot though.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
i will but i fitted a twist throttle not a flimsy thumb throttle, it looks sturdy enough but i wouldnt like to rely on it for every day use. does allow burnouts on the spot though.
Twist throttles are the worse for breaking. The stop at full throttle is only thin plastic. The mechanism at that end is more or less the same regardless of whether it's a thump, half or full throttle. The problem with the full throttles is that you have more force on the twist when you hit a bump. You'll find out what I mean sooner or later.

planter87

Nov 13, 2020
maybe i should rewire it to use a ride by wire throttle off one of my motorbikes that is more up to the task of doing 180mph and will quite comfortably sit at 20mph. i dunno just a thought.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
maybe i should rewire it to use a ride by wire throttle off one of my motorbikes that is more up to the task of doing 180mph and will quite comfortably sit at 20mph. i dunno just a thought.
Some people use a motorbike cable throttle to work a remote ebike one. Why not fit the PAS and have done with it?

planter87

Nov 13, 2020
I am going to but ill have to wait another 2-3 weeks for the pas to arrive with a dose of covid. Got a 12 magnet one on the way so looks to be compatible with the lcd-3 display and kt15 controller. My initial question i was asking was are they usable in conjunction with each other so i may pedal with assist then take over with throttle when i dont feel like pedalling for a bit. Im going for maximum average speed over a 10mile cycle. But i guess i will find out soon enough

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I am going to but ill have to wait another 2-3 weeks for the pas to arrive with a dose of covid. Got a 12 magnet one on the way so looks to be compatible with the lcd-3 display and kt15 controller. My initial question i was asking was are they usable in conjunction with each other so i may pedal with assist then take over with throttle when i dont feel like pedalling for a bit. Im going for maximum average speed over a 10mile cycle. But i guess i will find out soon enough
12 magnet ones have the most compatibility problems. Let's hope it works.

gottagofasta

Just Joined
Oct 2, 2021
Hello! My English is poor, but I will try to describe a groundbreaking discovery.

Bicycle: Carrera Vulcan.

I have repaired the crank sensor on my bike many times, so I ordered a new controller.
Today I rided on broken bike (but I connected the battery and display).
The chain fell and ripped the cable.

I should saw the e21 or e22 error but nothing has appeared.
I recorded the first film then. I accidentally connected two cables and the bike started to move by itself.
I started to combine them in different ways.
I connected two and checked if the "this small" button works.
The bike then rode 27 - 28 km / h.

It works like a throttle. They often point out errors and need to be turned off. I discovered that when I turn on the "sport" mode and maintain 20 km / h, there are no errors.

In the 4th film, the entire route is without pedaling.

Thanks to this I discovered a way to hack the Carrera Vulcan :
I have found a way to make the Carrera Vulcan engine move without pedalling by making it think I am pedalling.

Cut the wire from the PAS sensor, Reconnect all the wires beside black ( You will get errors if you don't ), Connect two long wires to green and black and then to a momentary switch, When you press the switch it'll send a signal that you've pedalled once and assist, You have to then keep pressing the switch repeatedly it'll keep giving you power all the way up to about 16mph on a flat.

I have bought a BD139 Bojack transistor, To try and make the signal repeat by itself just by holding the momentary switch down.

The only downside is that when you stop you get E22, You can fix it by turning off and then back on the display, I am going to test to see if having the black wires connected works and stops that error, I will post again if it does.

The switch I'm using https://www.amazon.co.uk/RUNCCI-YUN-Normal-Momentary-Button-Pre-soldered/dp/B07ZTJ4882/ you need a cheap wire cutter stripper tool from wickes, Heat shrink tubing, I have just been twisting the wires tightly together, Then taping it up with electrical tape.

But with this, I can use the Carrera Vulcan without pedalling at all, My PAS sensor isn't attached to the crank, But it shouldn't make a difference even if it is.

Attachments

Reactions: alon1samuel

alon1samuel

Just Joined
Nov 29, 2022
Thanks to this I discovered a way to hack the Carrera Vulcan :
I have found a way to make the Carrera Vulcan engine move without pedalling by making it think I am pedalling.

Cut the wire from the PAS sensor, Reconnect all the wires beside black ( You will get errors if you don't ), Connect two long wires to green and black and then to a momentary switch, When you press the switch it'll send a signal that you've pedalled once and assist, You have to then keep pressing the switch repeatedly it'll keep giving you power all the way up to about 16mph on a flat.

I have bought a BD139 Bojack transistor, To try and make the signal repeat by itself just by holding the momentary switch down.

The only downside is that when you stop you get E22, You can fix it by turning off and then back on the display, I am going to test to see if having the black wires connected works and stops that error, I will post again if it does.

The switch I'm using https://www.amazon.co.uk/RUNCCI-YUN-Normal-Momentary-Button-Pre-soldered/dp/B07ZTJ4882/ you need a cheap wire cutter stripper tool from wickes, Heat shrink tubing, I have just been twisting the wires tightly together, Then taping it up with electrical tape.

But with this, I can use the Carrera Vulcan without pedalling at all, My PAS sensor isn't attached to the crank, But it shouldn't make a difference even if it is.
Hi!
I'm also trying to convert my Carrera Vulcan and when I tried to check short circuit the green and black wires as you've specified the motor did start to assist!! Thank you very much.

My problem now is that it goes until the limit and then show an error bar.
Did you manage to overcome this issue?
I found out that if I'm connecting the black to the PAS again the error doesn't show.

That's really weird operation for me, I would think that the PAS has signal wiring: Black ground, Red 5V and green signal.
But if the black and red and yellow connected to the PAS, only the green is free. Then when I touch the green to the black nothing happens.
When black and green are loose (Red and yellow are connected to the PAS) then I momenteraly touch the black and green the motor start to run??

Anyone has an Idea of what the Carrera Vulcan controller is expecting from the PAS?

Thank you!

alon1samuel

Just Joined
Nov 29, 2022
Continuing this I thought to buy this switch:

It has a clear wiring diagram and I think if I'll connect the constatnly the green and the black together from the controller side, and then let them alternate between touching the black on the PAS side it should make the motor work.

2 problems:
This switch is not much bike compatible, so I'd have to mount is nicely (which is annoying) and it's hard to press it.
Another thing is that I'm not sure it will work, anyone tried this?

Advertisers