Carrera vengance problems

Saltscar

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 19, 2021
Hi Guys, I have a Carrera Vengance ebike bought for the wife. (In hope of getting out for longer rides). This had been stored in a shed over winter and although battery has full power the control panel does not power up. I have only checked through basic connections so far But are any wiring diagrams, instruction & troubleshooting manuals available online anywhere? Intending to strip and check it out later this week. The controller is SR Suntour HESC and HESC hub. I would assume starting point is to access what I assume will be a connection block under the frame (plate with 1/2 dozen screws) and check cable continuity to the controller and power supply from battery. Any advice & docs/diagrams appreciated. i'm a marine engineer (basic electrics) so idiots guide is good!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some batteries have a sleep mode and the HESC may be one of them, have you tried long pressing the battery switch for 10 - 30 seconds to wake it up.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
...what I assume will be a connection block under the frame (plate with 1/2 dozen screws)...
That sounds like the 2020 version with STL battery. If it is, it's where the controller is. To 2019 models with Joycube 06 battery had the controller potted in the battery dock.

Saltscar

Apr 19, 2021
That sounds like the 2020 version with STL battery. If it is, it's where the controller is. To 2019 models with Joycube 06 battery had the controller potted in the battery dock.
Yes it is the STL battery, any idea which of the 6 connections the voltage should be across & te readings on the others ? I am intending calling into Halfords & see what assistance is offered but bike was from Cycle republic who they sold & shop where purchased has closed.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
On the older battery, the outer two of the 6 pins are +v and -v. The inner 4 - if you can see contacts and they are actually connected - were UART comms. Likely the same on the newer STL.

If you check your battery is fully charged first (41v-ish), then post clear pics of your controller with wires separated out and of your display (because even that's changed a couple of times) vfr400 can likely help as he has experience of testing/fixing various Carreras.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can't measure the battery voltage on the pins because it doesn't switch on until connected and comms handshaking is complete. From memory, you get about 14v, which doesn't tell you anything other than probably something about the impedence of your meter.

Unfortunately, you need special eqipment to test anything on thes HESC bikes.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
That's a shame. The older batteries would work with or without UART; they could still be put to sleep or woken up and provide power even if the comms weren't being used.

Saltscar

Apr 19, 2021
Hi Guys, as mentioned above, I am unable to get a voltage reading when the battery is disconnected unless the charger is connected & charging. It then cycles at 42v. Photo's of controller attached. What I was hoping was a connection block in frame is a sealed unit !421084210942110

Jayjay1997

Just Joined
Jun 15, 2022
Hi I have a problem with a 2021 vengance I first had a issue with the back pin connector a wire was snapped and I'd sort of jammed it back into the pin after stripping carefully the half of the junction I could tell was bent crooked the bike was on when the problem occured (general vibration but when I jammed the hall sensor wire into the snapped ish pin would work fine ) so I decided to try splice the whole pin connector now the controller will not recognise the wheel and now a new problem arrived the pas sensor will ground the whole bike regardless of wheel being connected can a e00 mean there's a issue from the sensor through to the wheel and the issue is not the controller itself and just the oath from the sensor to the wheel sorry if it's a bit choppy this description

Jayjay1997

Just Joined
Jun 15, 2022
Toy earlier post a friend sent this that the Carrera might not be color for color after the pin connector but do I have to solder each try or can I twist for a while ,while I test

Attachments

Advertisers