Carrera Vengeance PAS Issue

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Hi All,
I have an old 2018 Carrera Vengeance E-Bike which despite the less than illustrious reviews has been faultless until now.

Today while out for a ride I lost all pedal assistance. After a sweaty ride home a few hours later I put it on the stand and and it worked perfectly for a short time before failing again. When it stops working the PAS LED goes out and then returns at a constant "dimmed" brightness. (No familiar flashing as the magnets pass the sensor). A further wait and the exercise is repeated. Does this point towards the PAS failing, or could their be another culprit?

Final question for the moment. Assuming I do need to replace the PAS (They are cheap enough). Mine is a 12 magnet version. Do I need to replace like for like? Or would a different number of magnets be any advantage? I appreciate I will need to match connectors (Or do some soldering),and ensure +ve, -ve and signal wires match. Will I break anything if I get this wrong?

Any extra information required just let me know, and I'll reply as soon as I can. (I haven't pulled the controller out of its housing yet).

Thanks in advance as always

TTFN
John.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You can use any one you want as long as you join the wires in the right sequence. I'd avoid a 12 magnet one because there are more problems with them, and you don't need 12 magnets.

They're normally pretty reliable. The most common fault is when the disc is knocked to far from the sensor. It needs to be an even 1mm from it. Sometimes the disc starts slipping on the shaft, then wears to the point it doesn't go round with it, so check that it's actually turning. After that, there's always the possible that the cable gets nicked if the chain comes off, and last is a dirty connector.

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Thanks for the reply @saneagle, Yes I can confirm the disc is a steady 1mm or so from the sensor. confirmed by sliding a thin piece of card between the 2 and checking the distance is constant throughout pedal rotation. The disc was tight on the shaft.

After removing the disc I can see the sensor is quite badly scored, not unusual I guess after 5 year of crud picked up during use?

I do have another Vengeance (Same version). So unless there is an easy way to confirm if the sensor is OK once I have checked the continuity of the connections I plan to start simple part substitution until the issue moves to the other bike. (Hopefully I don't end up with neither working). :oops:

But I probably will not get chance to do this for a day or so.

TTFN
John.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
8 or 10 pole would be my choice.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks for the reply @saneagle, Yes I can confirm the disc is a steady 1mm or so from the sensor. confirmed by sliding a thin piece of card between the 2 and checking the distance is constant throughout pedal rotation. The disc was tight on the shaft.

After removing the disc I can see the sensor is quite badly scored, not unusual I guess after 5 year of crud picked up during use?

I do have another Vengeance (Same version). So unless there is an easy way to confirm if the sensor is OK once I have checked the continuity of the connections I plan to start simple part substitution until the issue moves to the other bike. (Hopefully I don't end up with neither working). :oops:

But I probably will not get chance to do this for a day or so.

TTFN
John.
If the case is broken or worn through, it could have water in it.

Advertisers