Carrera Vulcan

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
I converted a Carrera Vengeance about 4 years ago with a Cyclotricity Front Hub 250W 36v and a 15Ah battery which has been a great bike for me. I`ve done about 4500 miles on it and the battery and motor is still good but the forks ect are starting to fail so I bought a Carrera Vulcan, what a disappointment, its like going back to a manual bike again, I could get used to the not having 18.5mph and not having a throttle but it couldn`t pull my socks off. No matter what setting I have it in the motor seems to pulse on and off, and the assist level indicator keeps jumping from zero to about 3/4 when I`m pedalling, is this normal on the Vulcan or have I bought a duffer.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The first electric Vulcan is a lovely bike when it works. I haven't tried the new one, but many people are saying that it's not very powerful compared with the first version.

You can solve the pedal surging by removing a couple of springs from the torque sensor mechanism, as one forum member did recently. The thread about it was a couple of weeks ago, so shouldn't take long. It's a gairly easy job to do.

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
Thanks for that, I`ll have a look back at that thread, I was going to ask at halfords but thought I`d better ask on the forum first. I had a look at the youtube reviews on a 2020 model to see how the assist level behaves and there is no pulsing showing while pedalling below 15.5mph.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Here's my original thread about dismantling the torque sensor:

Here's the thread about spring removal:

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
Thanks for those links bud, I couldn't find them, I popped in past halfords and their gonna check it out tomorow, but I'm not hopeful, I'll let you know how it goes, I'll go read the threads.

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
Thanks again for the links, really interesting stuff, I`ll probably go for the new controller and fit a cadence sensor eventually, but for now I`ll wait to see what halfords say then go with the spring removal on the torque sensor to see what difference that makes, the cadence sensor on my Cyclotricity kit has worked flawlessly for the last 4 years, in fact I`ve never had a problem with the kit since I fitted it, it seems a better idea than the torque sensor, but thats maybe because of what I`ve been use to. Thanks again, you`ve been a great help.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I forgot to say, apart from that, the Vulcan is great spec for the price, I`m really pleased with it.
Yes, I really like the Vulcan. I sort of have one. It belonged to my best friend and regular riding mate who died last year. It's throwing up the torque sensor error at the moment, but due to my own health problems, I haven't had a chance to fix it yet. It's one of the few that hasn't had the battery cut-out issue.

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
Yes, I really like the Vulcan. I sort of have one. It belonged to my best friend and regular riding mate who died last year. It's throwing up the torque sensor error at the moment, but due to my own health problems, I haven't had a chance to fix it yet. It's one of the few that hasn't had the battery cut-out issue.
Hope you get it fixed, keep it running for your mate, I got a load of fishing gear under the same circumstances, at my age cycling keeps me sane and reasonable fit.

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
Just an update, my Vulcan has been into Halfords and they said the Torque Sensor was faulty and they ordered a new one which was fitted on Friday past. It seems to be running a lot better now, just lacking a bit of oomph compared to my Vengeance conversion, but hey, I can work on that when I get a bit of time to look at the torque springs in the crank.

Old bones

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 11, 2018
I had a Vulcan for a few years. Had a few problems with it that was sorted. On the last time i got my old analog mtb out and haven't looked back. When you get reasonably bike fit u realised how limiting a ebike is regarding mileage.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
One of the biggest problems with the cheaper bikes is the parts on they just dont last. Cheap steel bolts rust literally within a week, ands other more important parts arent up to any sort of hard riding. They've taken their standard bike, made no changes, then stuck on the extra weight, selling it then as an Emtb as good as a 4K redesigned mbt.
People see the advertising and think its as good as any and it just isnt.

Reactions: JohnnyGM7LSI

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
One of the biggest problems with the cheaper bikes is the parts on they just dont last. Cheap steel bolts rust literally within a week, ands other more important parts arent up to any sort of hard riding. They've taken their standard bike, made no changes, then stuck on the extra weight, selling it then as an Emtb as good as a 4K redesigned mbt.
People see the advertising and think its as good as any and it just isnt.
That's completely false. I have a Carerra Vulcan that's about 4 years old and has been used all through the winter. There's no rust at all on it. Nothing has given a single problem in that time except the crappy torque sensor. I'm going to convert the electrics to a normal cadence sensor, then it will give many more years of service. I can't remember anybody ever reporting a problem with this bike apart from electric issues.

If you're talking about cheaper bikes in general, you only have to look in the station bike park to see the racks of un-maintained catalogue bikes still giving reliable daily service.

I did a test a few years ago, where I took a cheap catalogue bike out of a skip, put a cheap electric kit on it, then rode it 1000 miles in January through sleet, snow, ice, salt and everything else the weather could throw at me without cleaning the bike nor doing any maintenance whatsoever. Nothing failed, nothing needed adjustment and everything worked perfectly.

Reactions: JohnnyGM7LSI

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I'll disagree back. No rusting on bolts ??? They use mild steel buddy, not stainless.
I look after my bikes like im obsessed(which i am) and on cheaper bolts they rust.

The standard costs £375, and has a sunpoor fork, thats basic steel stanchions which are uncoated. I cannot count how many of those Ive seen with corrosion on the stanchions. Plus every bolt is the cheapest heaviest variety. It doesnt cost £375 dressed with even reasonable bits, its cheap bits to keep the cost down so most of the none biking community will buy it. Why do you think its mainly Helfrauds that sells them.

I think the trade price is under £200, for the entire bike. Many here ride Hope, and Hope is expensive not only because it looks nice, but because its quality componentry

Related Articles

Advertisers