Changed controller etc on OEM Halfords bike

Secue

Just Joined
Feb 27, 2021
Hello, i decided to upgrade an OEM bike I got from Halfords a year ago, changing everything except the front hub motor and the battery/housing. It's a 250w 24v one.

I bought a kit from ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24V-36V-250W-350W-E-bike-Scooter-Brushless-Motor-Speed-Controller-LCD-Panel-Kit-/224007796049?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

And I wanted to just reuse the original motor, and wire going to it. A crucial difference between the kit and the bikes original set up, is this one includes a throttle.

I've connected everything up, and there is power going to the new controller, the LCD screen lights up and displays relevant info etc. But, despite there being current going to the phase wires, and my soldering and making a new molex connection for the hall wires, the motor doesn't move when the throttle is attached.

There's one white wire spare from the original cable, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

Any help greatly appreciated ☺

Cheers

Ewan

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The wite wire is the speed sensor. It goes to the white wire on the white 3-pin connector with red, black and white wires. that has nothing to do with your problem. It only affects the speed display.

Your photo, as always, us very fuzzy, but it looks like the motor connector isn't in far enough.

To test the device, disconnect everything except the battery, motor and LCD. switch on and measure whether you have 5v on the throttle connector. If so, connect the throttle. test with the throttle and listen to and watch the motor to see if it moves, clicks or hums when you open the throttle a bit. Until the motor is working, never give it full throttle. Use up to half for only a short time.

If the motor clicks, hums or stutters, you probably have the wrong hall/phase connection sequence or a fault on a connector. If it doesn't, the motor connector probably isn't in properly.

Once the motor is working, you can connect the PAS and brakes.

It also helps to know what the controller settings are in case there's a setting that disables the throttle or makes it only work when you pedal.

Advertisers