Charger Recommendations, please

johneb

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2013
OK, I took step one of my ebike build and bought myself a Silverfish 36V 17Ah battery. It didn't come with a charger and suitable ones don't seem to be quite as ubiquitous as I'd anticipated.

I'm conscious of the bad publicity around poor quality mobile phone chargers and (particularly in view of the capital invested in the battery) want to get a safe, reliable charger. There's a guy on ebay selling SANS branded chargers, rated at 2A (item # 321443784532). Anyone know if these are ok?

The battery vendor states: "it can be charged with any standard 36v lithium battery charger up to 4 amps, charge voltage 42v". I'd ideally like a 4A unit to optimise charge time, but realistically most charge cycles will probably be overnight and so I guess a lower output current shouldn't be a big issue. Battery has an XLR socket.

All advice and recommendations of brands, models and suppliers gratefully received

D

Deleted member 4366

Any 36v lithium battery charger with a charge voltage of 42v will be suitable. The charge current can be anything up to 4 amps. The higher the current, the shorter the charge time. There's normally some on Ebay for about £25, or you can get one from BMSBattery. The connector is a 3 pin XLR which you can get in Maplin if the charger has the wrong connector.

johneb

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2013
Thanks d8veh. Problem is finding many (UK Sellers) that fit the bill and, as I said, knowing if I can trust them not to fry my battery. If I don't get any negative reports, I'll probably buy the SANS at £34 inc p&P

johneb

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2013
The Sans ones are very good. I've two of them and no problems.
Thanks Paul - I'm happier to buy now I have a recommendation

Advertisers