Cheap but serviceable tow ball racks

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
I only have one electric bike that I need to transport and I'm too miserly to pay the higher prices for the Thules, Spinders, Ueblers etc of this world. (I know, false economy?). Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of cheaper ones like the Pro-User Silverbike and the B'Twin Rack and Ride 500? These are currently available at just over £100. Of course, any other suggestions would be most welcome.

D

Deleted member 4366

Wilcos used to sell one that does the job.I don't see it on their website anymore. I still have mine, but don't use it. If you can come and get it from Telford, you can have it for not a lot.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
Wilcos used to sell one that does the job.I don't see it on their website anymore. I still have mine, but don't use it. If you can come and get it from Telford, you can have it for not a lot.
Sounds like (almost) a deal. Unfortunately I'm up on Anglesey but, if I'm ever down your way (and you still have it - and I haven't found anything), I'm sure we could agree on a deal. Chances are, however, that I'll have sorted something by then. Its frustrating always having to start my cycling rides from home!

D

Deleted member 4366

I come to Anglesey a lt because I keep my boat at Caernarfon.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
I come to Anglesey a lt because I keep my boat at Caernarfon.
This is getting interesting. Looks like it might be worth exploring? I'm currently researching tow bar carriers - but I need to be sure that whatever I end up with can cope with the Big Bear. Although I cant see me ever loading two bikes, it seems that that no-one does a "quality" carrier for a single bike. However, that may be in my favour as, although the maximum load spec (for some of the less expensive models) is quite low, I'll only ever be loading one bike. The other issue (apparently) is the wheel base of the Big Bear (and some other electric bikes). Its wider than standard bikes so some carriers wont take them. (Not very scientific but, measuring between where front tyre touches the ground and where rear tyre touches the ground, it comes out at about 112 cms). Maybe we can explore further?

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
Just checking.......I assume its a non-starter?

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
Well, I took the plunge (on a strict "if it doesn't fit, can I have a full refund" basis) and bought the Exodus 2 bike tow-bar mounted cycle carrier from Halfords (under £60). As I'll only ever use it to carry one electric bike it can certainly take the weight (although I'll be carrying the battery in the car itself - which makes sense anyway. I tried my Woosh Big Bear on it and it fits! I was worried it wouldn't, given the slightly unusual crossbar design on the Big Bear. I've yet to actually drive anywhere with it but it all seems OK. Even comes with an integral lock.

Reactions: trex

Advertisers