Checking Multimeter Calibration at Home

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Quacks discussed the possibility that gym bunnies ended up in ICU on breathing apparatus because regular exercise causes inflammation, as tissue is broken down by exercise and replaced, which was amplified when they contracted Covid. Quite surprising really. Fat tissue in obese people is also inflamed - before I lost three stones, my doc complained of my inflammation markers being very high. He insisted I take statins (they have to say that sort of thing when very high blood pressure and inflammation etc. is detected. Must be in the NHS handbook), I said "No, I'll lose weight". He was rather shocked that I did, and isn't going on about statins anymore. Bloody hard slog that was, and is. And it took about six months after I had lost two and a half stones, before my blood pressure reduced. I've still got to lose another 3/4 stone, and it's proving very stubborn.
Doctors get a backhander for drugs they prescribe, so they like to prescribe statins and other drugs that you have to take for the rest of your life. Covid vaccines have been a nice little earner too at around £20 a pop to add to the surgery budget.

I was in a similar situation to you. After a rountine checkup, the doctor diagnosed high cholestorol, and I needed to take some drug to control it for the rest of my life. I told her maybe they made a mistake with the test or my body had some sort of temporary malfunction, and I asked whether it might be better to have another test in a few months before deciding. She said no, but I refused to take her advice and she therefore reluctantly had to arrange another bloot test in 6 months. Guess what? It showed I was right in the middle of the normal range. Mysteriously, she didn't want to see me to discuss the results.

There was a previous occasion when they wanted to prescribe statins because I got a low score in one of their health assessments. I asked why a got a low score when I was healthy. The doctor said it was because my dad was on statins and had various problems. I asked what that had to do with me. When I made them remove the negative points for that, I was right in the middle of the healthy range.

I guess other guys wouldn't think to question these things and are happily taking all these drugs, thinking that they're saving their lives.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Doctors get a backhander for drugs they prescribe, so they like to prescribe statins and other drugs that you have to take for the rest of your life. Covid vaccines have been a nice little earner too at around £20 a pop to add to the surgery budget.

I was in a similar situation to you. After a rountine checkup, the doctor diagnosed high cholestorol, and I needed to take some drug to control it for the rest of my life. I told her maybe they made a mistake with the test or my body had some sort of temporary malfunction, and I asked whether it might be better to have another test in a few months before deciding. She said no, but I refused to take her advice and she therefore reluctantly had to arrange another bloot test in 6 months. Guess what? It showed I was right in the middle of the normal range. Mysteriously, she didn't want to see me to discuss the results.

There was a previous occasion when they wanted to prescribe statins because I got a low score in one of their health assessments. I asked why a got a low score when I was healthy. The doctor said it was because my dad was on statins and had various problems. I asked what that had to do with me. When I made them remove the negative points for that, I was right in the middle of the healthy range.

I guess other guys wouldn't think to question these things and are happily taking all these drugs, thinking that they're saving their lives.
Statins are saving lives . (Tens of thousands)

I disagree about incentives - there's plenty of people don't want the NHS to prescribe cheap, effective, out of patent medicines when they have some much more expensive alternatives. - that's why we have NICE

I have yearly "mot" at my drs including blood test. My cholesterol level has always been good, so don't "qualify" for statins. However, if I did qualify , I would definitely take them. Note the NICE advice for lifestyle changes first and if they don't reduce cholesterol levels then statins

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My shiny new Aneng AN8008 has finally arrived, and it's reasonably accurate. Thank you for your recommendation @thelarkbox:

The Neoteck DM4000 Pro is also reasonably accurate. Thank you for suggesting this @AntonyC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
How many DVMs have you now?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes but that one doesn't tell you when you have miocarditis or pericarditis from the vaccine. The Huawei might save your life.

The Huawei measures your SPO2, checks and dispays your heartbeat 24 hrs a day, monitors your sleep, monitors your breathing while you're asleep, records all your bike journeys and tells you everything about them, counts your steps, counts the calories you burn, tracks and displays your stress levels, displays your SMS messages without your phone, vibrates and tells you when your phone is ringing, tells you the weather, tells you the air pressure. It has a compass in it and it works as a torch. It finds your phone for you and plays music through bluetooth earbuds or speakers. You can have whatever watchface takes your fancy and swap them when you want.

When I had bloodclots in my lungs, my Huawei watch showed me that something was wrong because it plots a graph of resting heartbeat, and mine had gone up significantly, which it had never done before. The doctor in the hospital wasn't very impressed when I went there to get fixed and I told him I know something is wrong because my watch says so. he was going to send me home with a stress diagnosis, until he saw the blood test results, which had markers for bloodclots off the scale.
Hey for £3 this watch is pretty sweet. It might even be sweet priced £3.52. The strap is not changeable sadly (good job too - a replacement strap would cost more than the watch), but it's comfortable to wear, the display is big and clear, easy to read, supposedly waterproof. One button toggles through time, date, day of week and seconds. It has a bit of a greenish backlight, which is only apparent when it's bloody dark. I might actually use this watch when my eyes worsen. It's big digits should be easy to read at a glance while cycling during the day.

...spot the greeny backlight...

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes but that one doesn't tell you when you have miocarditis or pericarditis from the vaccine. The Huawei might save your life.
I decided you're right, and that this is cheaper than a blood pressure monitor:

I would be worried about how much of that data gets sent to China for Xi's purposes.
China could attack when we're optimally ill, kill the fit first using EVs and everything else containing backdoored Chinese chippery, ie everything. I'll make a new Google ID using a burner phone bought with cash, and connect via a VPN over Tor with the endpoint near the Chinese factory this watch was made. As far as Xi will know, I'm a partcularly ill Bruce Lee. Can't be too careful.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I can't wait to see if it actually works. I bought a smart watch for about £20, but when it arrived, it must have had a brain aneurysm or something like that because it didn't have any smart functions.
At £20 it might be the same watch you bought and returned. I'm hoping this thing has zero smarts, all I really want is blood pressure measurement, and I'd be very disappointed if it's rubbish at that - an entire £4.03 utterly wasted would break my heart, I might not recover from the shock. Hope it doesn't discover I'm actually one of the undead, transmitting that to Xi would break my meticulously crafted cover, and I'd have to destroy everyone who knows all over again.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
At £20 it might be the same watch you bought and returned. I'm hoping this thing has zero smarts, all I really want is blood pressure measurement, and I'd be very disappointed if it's rubbish at that - an entire £4.03 utterly wasted would break my heart, I might not recover from the shock. Hope it doesn't discover I'm actually one of the undead, transmitting that to Xi would break my meticulously crafted cover, and I'd have to destroy everyone who knows all over again.
The one I got said it had heartbeat, etc, but didn't. It was just a cheap $1 watch that indicated the time only - probably not very well. Paypal asked me to send the $1 watch back to China at a cost of £18, then they refunded me the £38 . It seemed a bit daft to me. The seller had already been reported thousands of times over for the scam.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The one I got said it had heartbeat, etc, but didn't. It was just a cheap $1 watch that indicated the time only - probably not very well. Paypal asked me to send the $1 watch back to China at a cost of £18, then they refunded me the £38 . It seemed a bit daft to me. The seller had already been reported thousands of times over for the scam.
I missed out on this watch when it was £22 - disrupts WiFi connections of perverts using spy cameras to view your naked wobbly bits when you're using hotels, restrooms, AirBnBs etc.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I can't wait to see if it actually works. I bought a smart watch for about £20, but when it arrived, it must have had a brain aneurysm or something like that because it didn't have any smart functions.
It arrived with destructions ie no instructions, and appears to work. I don't want it's app/life hacking features, but it telling me that my BPM is 80 and blood pressure measures 118/80 is useful potentially, if all those 8s (rather a lot of 8s) resemble being accurate - drat I'll now have to buy a decent blood pressure monitor to check. If blood pressure approaches being accurate, it's a good purchase for at £4.03. Blood oxygenation is showing as 99%, which is resassuring because there are no 8s mentioned. Still available at about this price, buy two other bits of cheap AliExpress tat for free 5 day delivery. The strap is standard, easy to replace if needed, but the one it arrived with is comfy. Only one watch face isn't grotesque.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It arrived with destructions ie no instructions, and appears to work. I don't want it's app/life hacking features, but it telling me that my BPM is 80 and blood pressure measures 118/80 is useful potentially, if all those 8s (rather a lot of 8s) resemble being accurate - drat I'll now have to buy a decent blood pressure monitor to check. If blood pressure approaches being accurate, it's a good purchase for at £4.03. Still available at about this price, buy two other bits of tat for free 5 day delivery. The strap is standard, easy to replace if needed, but the one it arrived with is comfy. Only one watch face isn't grotesque.
It's probably just giving out random numbers. How can it measure blood pressure? You have to stop the flow to measure it. I bought a fake Samsung phone. It came with its own test app, which showed screen resolution, memory and everything like that the same as a real one, but when I used a third party test app, the results were very sad, though i din't need any app to tell me that the screen was a basic colour LCD 640 x 480 pixels, nor that the internet was rather slow.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's probably just giving out random numbers. How can it measure blood pressure? You have to stop the flow to measure it. I bought a fake Samsung phone. It came with its own test app, which showed screen resolution, memory and everything like that the same as a real one, but when I used a third party test app, the results were very sad, though i din't need any app to tell me that the screen was a basic colour LCD 640 x 480 pixels, nor that the internet was rather slow.
It exudes a weird green light and calculates blood vessel volume therefore blood pressure, using algorithms apparently. It's bound to be wrong, but I imagine very high readings would raise one of my eyebrows enough to propel me to A&E.

The screen is low res LCD. If I'd paid £20 for this, I'd have been disappointed. I can just about make out time and date on it's most hideous watch face, without the aid of the keychain magnifying glass I bought for 59p from AliExpress - time is clear on at least two other watch faces, date isn't clear or displayed on all.

It charges on a two pinned USB powered charging plate - there's no USB socket on the side of the watch, the charging contacts are on the underside, so it may survive very light drizzle. I have no idea how long the battery lasts yet.

That blood pressure reading is a good reminder to slow jog regularly again.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If you've ever wondered about the BPM, blood pressure and oxygenation levels of aluminium foil, here are successive readings :D

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
If you've ver wondered about the BPM, blood pressure and oxygenation levels of aluminium foil, here are successive readings :D

View attachment 55657
Oh well, nice try. At least you can impress your friends how fit you are, and if ever you don't feel well, you can check your watch to feel better.

Don't let the ambulance guys see it when you get your clotshot heart attack, otherwise they won't use the defribulator.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Oh well, nice try. At least you can impress your friends how fit you are, and if ever you don't feel well, you can check your watch to feel better.

Don't let the ambulance guys see it when you get your clotshot heart attack, otherwise they won't use the defribulator.
Wearing this watch is a real risk to the continuance of my life. Hilariously to help the fraud along, it even exudes a weird green light from the back.

Before starting the refund process, Ditalingstore said I had to agree I've received the watch in "good condiion", by also confirming delivery. "I'm sorry I can't do that Digitaling," I said, because this so-called "heart monitoring" watch doesn't work, thus isn't in "good condition". It's in bad condition - it doesn't work.

...so now I have to wait another 8 days before requesting a refund. Once (or if) I've been refunded, I can't leave a review lol. Don't you just love AliExpress AKA den of fraudsters and thieves hell bent on the destruction of the western world.

Last edited:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Pretty sure the xiaomi kit all broadcast unencrypted public data via ble so all you need is a dev board loaded with some free open source f/w to lift the data without the intrusive app and relying on remote servers if of a worry to you. Check out OMG on githubfor the s/w and hardware requirements (any cheap esp32 dev board should be ok? m5stack atom is a tidy package.. )

Advertisers