Clean and Jerk !

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
When I was looking to buy my Mountain bike no one mentioned was that I would need to be able to clean and jerk the 22 kg bike over my head to clear gates.

Here are two I encountered last night, the wooden one is a bit easy compared to the steel one. Nice wooden gate with handy kissing gate.

DSC_0317.JPG

Steel monster, see how much higher up the handle bars compared to the wooden one this is. (Bastard)

DSC_0295.JPG

So my technique is to grip just above the battery and just below the NCX and heave.

Sorry, this photo is included as I thought my bike looked so beautiful just standing there.

DSC_0319.JPG

Any other obstacles you come across that no one told you about.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Useful
Reactions: IR772

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
Mine weighs about the same..maybe a k heavier..i grab it as low down the
seat post has i can with one hand.... other near the top of front sus..a sharp
intake of breath an over it goes.....just about..:)...nice bike^^

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
When I was looking to buy my Mountain bike no one mentioned was that I would need to be able to clean and jerk the 22 kg bike over my head to clear gates.

Here are two I encountered last night, the wooden one is a bit easy compared to the steel one. Nice wooden gate with handy kissing gate.

View attachment 14652

Steel monster, see how much higher up the handle bars compared to the wooden one this is. (Bastard)

View attachment 14653

So my technique is to grip just above the battery and just below the NCX and heave.

Sorry, this photo is included as I thought my bike looked so beautiful just standing there.

View attachment 14654

Any other obstacles you come across that no one told you about.
Taking the battery off helps.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
To get to a canal path i like to ride, a shortcut would be to go over this rail bridge that goes over a river....

Its so steep and such a bstard to carry my bike up the steps & over, that i mostly go a long way round to avoid it

• :D
Reactions: cyberdyne_systems

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
To get to a canal path i like to ride, a shortcut would be to go over this rail bridge that goes over a river....

Its so steep and such a bstard to carry my bike up the steps & over, that i mostly go a long way round to avoid it
Low gear, walk button and strenuous effort required.. Think I'd go the long way round too.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Low gear, walk button and strenuous effort required.. Think I'd go the long way round too.
The bridge is worse than it looks in the pic...... I've tried using the throttle to walk the bike up the steps, but its too steep and the steps are too big. There really isn't any other way than to carry the bike up. Its a killer.
The detour is a long way round, but its worth it.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
My big bike weighs 30 kilos. Thankfully, I rarely have to lift it. Steps, I walk it up them using the thumb throttle.

The one I've just bought, feels like a feather at 22 kg.

Reactions: IR772

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Another rail footbridge that causes me probs getting over with my Ebike.... although I dont have much of a detour to avoid this one.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
There's a bridge in York that has a beam or "gutter" for want of a better word near the lhs of the steps that is made for bikes to slot their wheels in.

Would have though this would be easy to implement across the majority of stepped overpasses...

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Just shows how our existing transport system is for the people it suppose to server let alone the disabled.
and they want HS2 when our existing system is not fit for purpose.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Here are two I encountered last night, the wooden one is a bit easy compared to the steel one. Nice wooden gate with handy kissing gate
? Are these locked gates preventing access to land you can ride on legally. If so, then as SW surgests, grind away :rolleyes: if not perhaps best not add criminal damage to trespassing ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can ride on it just some gates are locked not sure why as horses also go up there?

you can get to the top other ways tho non stop.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
The land is common, Forestry commission or National Trust. Huge areas are in Herefordshire, Shropshire and Wales so access is not illegal.

The wooden gate has a kissing gate by it and the steel gate has a style to its left for walker access, so not barred at all, the steel gate is the worst I have encountered height wise. Lots of gates have an opening pedestrian gate so horses and bikes can easily pass through, probably bridle paths.

The locked gates are to stop vehicles, normally the 4x4 clubs that also like to go out and explore in their modes of transport. These would be excellent areas for these 4x4's as they are for me on my bike, so the gates are locked to allow Forestry or Farmer access only.

Normally I come across these gates after a long climb or coming out of a wood so I am knackered to then have to lift the bike over.

Because I have a bike that can go most places I am now rediscovering all the areas as a child that I used to visit, its is amazing how many have not changed beyond recognition. There were not that many gates then and none of them were locked.

It is the difference between walking a footpath and riding my bike on it.

Still love it!

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
For getting over bridges with steps my Oxygen E-mate city with a throttle is surprisingly capable if a little undignified as you could spin up the back wheel while lifting the front over upcoming steps and kind of bounce your way up, I still use the Oxygen for general shopping trips including using the train and the throttle really helps to overcome steps.

My sDuro is used for my commute to work and back and I mostly avoid routes that require me to lift it up although it is possible when I have to, although it involves removing the panniers and then going back to get them and put them back on.

On The North Downs where I will sometimes use the footpath sections during the week when it is quiet they have at some expense put in new gates and associated kissing gates at regular intervals, although the kissing gates are capacious enough to allow you to upend your bike on the back wheel and walk it through. I guess someone must have complained.

Related Articles

Advertisers