Close Call?

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Terrified a woman driver and two pedestrians yesterday.
A woman driver seemed to think she could drive across a round about not looking or giving way to the right. We came up to the junction together and I think she saw the day-glow jacket just in time and slammed on the brakes. Two pedestrians jumped out of their skins thinking I was going to buy it on her bonnet. My heavy old horse would have made one hell of a dent it that thin little bonnet of hers :cool:

SimonHutt

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2007
Cheshire, WA4
Glad to hear you were lucky. I cycle in dayglo yellow jacket, and with good lights, and have still been "taken out" in similar circumstances at a roundabout. No broken bones, but bike was off road for a while until repaired.
My learning that I took away from that experience was that on a bike it is no protection to be "in the right" - I am a much more defensive cyclist now!

Andy Day

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2008
I've had a similar experience, don't ride round roundabouts is the solution! As a lifelong motorcyclist and cyclist, in addition to having driven 1/2 million miles I can tell you most motorists don't care, and don't look! Dayglo jackets are invisible to the blind!

I had a good one the other day. Waited at pedestrian crossing, car on my side stopped, car coming from left other side, some distance from crossing slowed as if the stop. I proceeded to cross (pushing), car coming from left carries on and nearly takes front wheel off bike! Stops in traffic further on, I remonstrate, I'm told as I'm pushing a bike he didn't need to stop!

We stand no chance against this level of stupidity!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Quite right Andy. Here's a definitive legal ruling on this issue:

"Anyone pushing a bicycle is a "foot-passenger" (Crank v Brooks [1980] RTR 441) and is not "riding" it (Selby). In his judgment in the Court of Appeal in Crank v Brooks, Waller LJ said: "In my judgment a person who is walking across a pedestrian crossing pushing a bicycle, having started on the pavement on one side on her feet and not on the bicycle, and going across pushing the bicycle with both feet on the ground so to speak is clearly a 'foot passenger'. If for example she had been using it as a scooter by having one foot on the pedal and pushing herself along, she would not have been a 'foot passenger'. But the fact that she had the bicycle in her hand and was walking does not create any difference from a case where she is walking without a bicycle in her hand."

Therefore you were a bona fide pedestrian on that crossing and the driver committed a serious offence.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
as a driver and cyclist i do believe hi viz jackets or waistcoats make cyclists stand out more,and at least help to lessen accidents, even if you are seen at the last second it could be better than not being seen at all.

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
I had a near miss last night. Not a car in sight i started moving towards the centre of the road with the intentiion of moving to the very large pavement on the other side of the road.This is generally used by by cyclists as its is a rural area and it gets you off a very fast road.
Back to the point....i moved towards the centre of the road ,looked in my mirror and to my shock so a car heading towards me at about 60mph..my choice was continue to the centre,stop or go back to my nearside.. i didn't think the car would get through the inside and i had no intention of stopping so i tried to return to the nearside...unfortunately the car did the same. Luckily the driver managed to miss me and stop partway on the grass verge,some part of my body knocked the glass out of the car wingmirror whcih i replaced and i grazed my foot slightly on the pedal.The lady driver was as shocked as i was.We both asked each other if we were ok and carried on.
If you have cycling lives...then one of mine has definitely gone....to all you cyclist out there.....be careful
car drivers.... slow down
politicians.....lets have more dedicated cycle lanes

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Glad your ok carpetbagger.

I think, if I ever started with the proverbial "nine lives" - I must be well into the minus figures now :eek:

I have appreciation for any good driver be they male or female. But it's interesting, that both carpetbagger's and my close calls have been with seemingly inattentive lady drivers.

There is an industrial estate about 200 yards from my home and I often walk up and back. There is a mini roundabout on the route and on three separate occasions lady drivers going too fast blindly round the corner have nearly mowed me down.

Are girl racers replacing the boy racers?

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I think the gap between men and women's driving is narrowing - I see plenty of women now driving at inappropriate speeds (usually with their nippers on board). My favourite is a young lady I saw driving down a hill near me at around 35-40mph holding a mobile phone in her hand, texting away - you cannot make it up! Mind you I did see a man doing the same in central london the other day as I cycled along side him - I hooted my horn and he looked up to see me, blue helmet, yellow hi-viz jacket, he dropped the phone pretty quick (these things amuse me).

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
cheers footie,
i hope we both learnt from the experience,me to be more careful and the lady to slow down..it was supposed to be a leisure ride !!... nothing like the hair of the dog....same route tonight....:D

Advertisers