Computers and stuff...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
the heatsink covers the cpu and gfx plus there is no way to power it or control the fan curves.
Blasted Apple have hobbled any decent CPU upgrade with that custom cooler! :mad:

...and this is why I hate Apple.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Informative
Reactions: guerney

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

cant buy any parts or the batts as bet it is in that thing so far you will have to brake it to remove it!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That video was too short lol - what's the deal with the big robot with the large non-spinning propeller? Looks like it was designed by the Wright brothers. So much better than the boring UK version...

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
They're using a Korg Kaosspad in the soundtrack for the new Midwich Cuckoos - boring show - it's unmistakeable, bow drawn over electric guitar strings then thrown through the Korg, big reverb added at the end. Eno likes Kaosspads and I can see why, very tactile for weird atmospheres...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

those 30tb ssd drives are £8000 tho i cant see the hdd going away any time soon.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

those 30tb ssd drives are £8000 tho i cant see the hdd going away any time soon.
Not when you can make your own 30TB RAID server at home for less than 1k for your games and RAW 4k video

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they use the 30tb ssd in the other server as a buffer like the apple fusion drives just on crack.

just for the spinning drives is$36000 x60 then plus 8k for every 30tb ssd.

he drops one of the spinning drives and takes apart one of the 30tb ssd drives each one has 8gb of ram ;)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Cheap and fast PC gaming storage, if you've got identical drives kicking around. Don't buy second hand drives from cex - only 1 in 4 have zero bad sectors in my experience... if they spin up, or spin up without making noises indicating imminent hard drive death.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I still can't believe cheapo action cameras haven't improved AT ALL since I bought one a year and a half ago, when Samsung is bringing out a 200MP sensor:

Motorola will be using it, let's hope it makes it's way into action cameras:

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I still can't believe cheapo action cameras haven't improved AT ALL since I bought one a year and a half ago, when Samsung is bringing out a 200MP sensor:

Motorola will be using it, let's hope it makes it's way into action cameras:

I'm not sure more megapixels help. I have an s20 ultra with 41 megapixels (they've become cheap as chips) and frankly the quality of the pics suck

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm not sure more megapixels help. I have an s20 ultra with 41 megapixels (they've become cheap as chips) and frankly the quality of the pics suck
One can get decent sharp snaps with cellphone cameras, good lighting and composition. Here's Micheal Gondry's short film shot using various techniques using an iPhone 7 Plus and an app called Filmic Pro, support of which is sometimes limited on other phones with capable sensors from manufacturers such as Sony, because sometimes the OS programmers leave the API for the sensor out (as they did for Blackberry's KeyOne, frustratingly - it has the same Sony sensor as the Google Pixel of the time, which was properly programmed for third party apps to make better us of the Sony sensor's features than the native camera app). Also below is a short by Star Wars Director (Apple digging very lightly into their deep pockets) Rian Johnson made using an iPhone 11.

What p*sses me off is that that massive sensors have not made their way into cheapo action cameras, which all suck in low light - even the GoPros are crap at night! The hopeful part is, with massive sensors like Samsung's 200MP, they can combine 16 pixels to one, eliminating noise. The resulting image would (theoretically) be sharp and noise free, albeit at a lower resolution, while remaining high resolution enough to record car number plates in deepest darkest night.

A brief "Making of" Gondry's Detour:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
they use the 30tb ssd in the other server as a buffer like the apple fusion drives just on crack.

just for the spinning drives is$36000 x60 then plus 8k for every 30tb ssd.

he drops one of the spinning drives and takes apart one of the 30tb ssd drives each one has 8gb of ram ;)

Last edited:

Advertisers