Controller box

Budgie1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 21, 2014
Hello everyone. I've just upgraded to a Wings ebike Alpine 13 with the 1000w off-road kit. The bike looks great, it uses a Dolphin battery case on the down tube and a controller bag attached to the top tube. Personally I don't much like the look of a controller bag also worry it might attract the wrong sort of people thinking someone has left their bike luggage behind. I've googled for a few days looking for a plastic controller case to fit probably again on top tube - these boxes seem to look modern and in my opinion add a more fitted feel to the bike. My problem is I just can't find one to accommodate the controller - its in an aluminium box measuring 170mm length, 85mm width and height 60mm.

So my question is - if I removed the circuit board from its aluminium housing so its now smaller, is this okay to fit into a plastic controller case or do I need to keep it inside its metal case to help act as a heatsink?

Many thanks.

Budgie1

Jul 21, 2014
It needs a heatsink of some sort.
Thanks very much for the instant reply. So I will keep the controller in its aluminium housing and keep a look out for something large enough to accommodate it. Maybe I will grow to like it with time o_O

Budgie1

Jul 21, 2014
Work got a bit mental so I've only just had a chance to upload some photos. Overall I'm very pleased with the bike - it is allowing me to commute to work on decent days (well dry) in a suit and not arriving in a puddle. It's about 11 miles each way, with mostly climbing (sometimes very steeply) on the way home. I did order a couple of plastic controller boxes, neither fitted so I've decided to cut my losses and just ordered a better quality frame bag.
A couple of observations so far:
  1. The brakes seem poor. The Incline 13 gets a good review and it seems a decent spec for its price point. Some reviews do mention the pads need to be run in hard so I will try that or change the pads. The extra weight is possibly clouding my opinion as well.
  2. Gearing - factory spec on rear Shimano HG200 - 9 Speed - 11-34t with 3 cogs on front. On downhills I would like a bit more gearing to reduce my pedalling cadence so I don't look quite so silly. Interested if everyone has changed their gearing maybe the opinion is it isn't needed on an e-bike
  3. Considering changing the knobbly tyres to something smoother in hope it will extend the battery life a bit all other things being equal
  4. Electrical issue - last week on way home (with fully charged battery) when I reached the top of the steep hill the battery flat warning came on and I was on my own. This was only after 5 miles and I'd already proven 22 doable with charge remaining. I assumed as I was tired I'd used more juice and luckily that was the last hill so I cruised home pedal power only (actually not too bad so another plus for bike). However when I attached the charger the light did not go red and the battery would not charge. Wing ebikes quickly dispatched a new charger which did not make a difference. Green light meant to turn red when charging. I checked the 30amp fuse on battery it was fine. So the vendor reckoned it must be the battery and to his credit sent a new battery next day delivery (arriving today). He mentioned a battery failure very rare so I hope I've just been unlucky. Customer service has been excellent though.
  5. When changing my controller bag I am left with 1 connection shown in photo I just cannot split. Any suggestions as to the wizardy needed to split this would be gratefully received.

Attachments

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
3. Schwalbe Big Apples will work really well on there.

4. I don't know what cells are in that battery, but they would have to be pretty expensive ones to have a high enough rating for a 25A controller. I'd be concerned that the battery is not up to the job, and that the BMS has cut it out due to voltage sag/over current.

5. They should just pull apart.

Budgie1

Jul 21, 2014
3. Schwalbe Big Apples will work really well on there.

4. I don't know what cells are in that battery, but they would have to be pretty expensive ones to have a high enough rating for a 25A controller. I'd be concerned that the battery is not up to the job, and that the BMS has cut it out due to voltage sag/over current.

5. They should just pull apart.
Thanks Alan. I will check out those tyres! On Wing ebikes website it states all the batteries have Samsung cells which was one of the reasons I went for that seller. I'll keep in touch with the seller once he gets the original battery back as I'm interested to understand what happened to it.

I will try again to pull apart the leads. There is another join closer to the hub with the same connector so I might try there first. I did pull really hard, obviously not hard enough but I wanted to avoid causing any damage in case the connector needed a twist or something.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Thanks Alan. I will check out those tyres! On Wing ebikes website it states all the batteries have Samsung cells which was one of the reasons I went for that seller. I'll keep in touch with the seller once he gets the original battery back as I'm interested to understand what happened to it.

I will try again to pull apart the leads. There is another join closer to the hub with the same connector so I might try there first. I did pull really hard, obviously not hard enough but I wanted to avoid causing any damage in case the connector needed a twist or something.
It depends on exactly which samsung cells, and how many. It also depends on how the BMS is set up.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon

On the subject of tyres, I have a 26" x 2.0 big apple spare (Almost new, I prefer the bigger 2.35's, and you might too).

I'd happily swap it for your redundant controller box if it the right size.....

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Advertisers