Controller pin outs for throttle connection

dgncsk

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2017
Ankara Turkey
Dear friends, this is my first post in technical section on this forum. Hello to all.

I bought a YOUE 250w 36 volts motor from aliexpress. it has hal sensors. Motor can work on my other Bafang controller but does not show speed on its big LCD screen. what can be the reason?

Secondly, i bought an LCD and a controller from aliexpress again, unfortunatelly LCD does not match its contoller.
its parameter settings, some of important parameters can not be adjusted. does not read speed correctly, does not read speed when no power is on motor. When i turn wheel backwards by hand, it reads some values.
When hall wires are removed motor LCD gives error. When i give full throttle on cheap aliexpress LCD, it accelerates veeeeery low rate and gives battery error in the end. max speed is something like 12 13 km/h according to my gps.

PAS does not work. Throttle voltage range can not be changed in menu. Motor load limit can be set but does not do anything. So i guess LCD is the culprit.

Here is the queston. i opened controller casing, i foudn that there are pins were not soldered and empty. LCD has integrated throttle so this is the reason, may be.

Could you please check photos? Any comments? can i use this controller seperately with another panel? Thank you in advance.

!cid_15b285b5d92b09f4ba91 by Dogan Arsiray, on Flickr

***you can see controller casing and LCD and motor on flicker link. https://flic.kr/s/aHskWV5kM7

D

Deleted member 4366

The problem is that you haven't connected a wheel-speed sensor. The controller doesn't appear to have a wire for one, but the photo isn't very clear. Without a speed sensor, the controller will pick up the speed signal from a motor hall sensor, but it can only do that when the motor is driving or going backwards because the motor disengages when the bike is going faster than the motor (free-wheeling).

Reactions: dgncsk

dgncsk

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2017
Ankara Turkey
thanks for prompt reply. it makes sense. how about the bafang kit? when bafang motor is spinning freely, it reads speed. when this motor is attached to same bike, it won't read anything. only 0. can this be related to hall sensor types inside Youe motor? As a note on PCB, there are connection points which are not used on this board. I can see them on other side of PCS. Let me list them.

you can see labels on photo too

XS K1
K2
SD F4 F3 F2 F1 YBS
4.3V GND XX
Q

SL DS SH A3 LJ 36V 36V

all of above are not connected.

D

Deleted member 4366

The connections don't mean anything. Which ones are used depends on the CPU programming. That controller is probably programmed for a specific application.

Often, there's setting that you can change, which are accessible through the LCD buttons, provided that the LCD came with the controller as a matched pair.

Did you buy the LCD/throttle and the controller separately? Can you provide the link/s?

On your LCD, are there two spare wires not connected to the connector? If so, it might read the speed directly from the speed sensor via the white wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dgncsk

dgncsk

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2017
Ankara Turkey
i understand but, LCD has integrated throttle so it can be seperated.
XS seems the speed limit if gorunded. No limit here.

Regarding to speed signals, some of ebike lovers seems got one of hall sensor signals and transfer it to cycle analist called little computer. if i can find the speed signal pin, may be i can use it too.

i bought it from aliexpress. LCD can not change some of settings. It is weird. I can't change its parameters such as Metric to Imperial. Throttle voltage it is fixed to 0-3. , can change PAS setting sensitivity magnet count etc but PAS won't work at all. I can change motor load limit, 1 amp to 20 amp, it makes no difference. controller only gives 1/3 of motor power. it accelerates very slow and cuts power due to set speed limit, if speed limit is too much, it cuts power and gives battery error. Battery is VTC6 lithium cell made 10s BMS equipped one. Charged fully and 15C continuous. 20C peak. Voltage is 41.2 volts and under load volta is 39.6 volts. ( LCD shows voltage)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/factory-sells-intelligent-DIY-electric-bicycle-accessories-250w-controller-with-thumb-LCD-display/32779657645.html?spm=2114.13010708.0.0.BJ7woV

i think controller and LCD does not match. another lesson learned by buying cheap goods.

D

Deleted member 4366

You didn't answer the question: Does your LCD/throttle harness have two unconnected wires - brown and white?

D

Deleted member 4366

Mine has 5 wires on the 5-pin connector plus two not connected to anything.

Did you get any instructions from the supplier? I can see 16 changeable parameters in the LCD. The only obvious one is the switchable voltage from 36v to 48v.

dgncsk

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2017
Ankara Turkey
seller is irresponsible in terms of aftersales support. he does not answer questions. i wish that i could wait to confirm the goods before testing it.

i got instructons from another seller but LCD seems promblematic to me. i wont change some of values such as throttle voltage setting etc... some of them has no effect such as PAS. no pas at all. sensor is good.

D

Deleted member 4366

Did you check the sequence on your PAS? There's no standard for the wire sequence in the connector, so they often don't match the controller's sequence. That means that you have to swap pins in the connector.

If it's a new PAS, see if it works backwards.

dgncsk

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2017
Ankara Turkey
yes i did today. signal wire is the yellow on controller. so i matched the wiring once more. nothing happens. i think i will buy another set... do you know those Led panel types? 810 880 890 ? there are several controllers on aliexpress. all are at same price range. will they ok for? any ideas?

manman94

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
Netherlands
Hopefully someone can help me I have controler which has 5 pin hals ,but my bike has a 6 pin could any body tell how to connect them I know black go's to black and tred goes to red so i have 4 wire left on the bike and 3 on the controler.
Should i match colour to court eth rest and just leave on pin free on the connector, photos would a god send .thanks people

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The 6th pin (white wire) is for the speed sensor. Without a speed sensor connected, the speed display on any LCD will work, but will show zero speed when the motor is free-wheeling, like when going Downhill.

Some controllers have an additional connector for a speed sensor, otherwise you can use a two or three wire speed sensor by connecting the signal wire of a three wire one to the white and the other two to any red 5v and any black ground. For a 2-wire one, you connect either wire to the white and the other one to any black ground, and if that doesn't work, connect the second wire to a red 5v because different controllers have them different ways round.

The rest of the wires go colour to colour.

Without a speed sensor, the speed should display with the default LCD settings. If the speed is too low set the number of magnets in the speed sensor to approx 90, then up or down a bit to get it exact. When no speed sensor signal is detected, the controller will use the motor hall signals to calculate the speed, which only works when you give power to the motor during your ride.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yep colourto colour , white is for internal or an exteranal sp sensor.

Advertisers