Convert peddle assist only to throttle and peddle assist

Swinman

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2016
Leicester
so this is for the tec heads out there 1 if I buy a pre 2016 bike that could have been both peddle assist and throttle then I know I can keep it that way , but if it only had peddle assist can I convert it to throttle and paddle assist . 2 my powabyke euro has both modes and I know the crank sensor works with the 5-6 magnets on the inside of the crank so I presume peddle assist has the same system now what I don't know is , is this a pulse re the speed of crank turn or is it time that once it finds a magnetic field it runs the motor as it keeps seeing the field and stops when you stop if so and the main point is , how simple is it to convert peddle assist to power with throttle can I just put a magnet on the sensor and it thinks I'm peddling really fast so works all the time or my best plan is affix the sensor to the rear forks and put magnets on the spokes like the speedometer work then it thinks I'm peddling all the time , if it helps the bike I want to do this to is a benelli 2015 fold city , thank for any advise

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
1. Assuming the controller has input for throttle. If not, a new controller (£20-60).

2. No, it needs to see a pulse, otherwise it would continue to run if you stopped the pedals in the right (or wrong) place.

If you put a magnet on the wheel, once started it will continue to run until you cut it out with brake sensors. Not a pleasant ride I assure you.

Simple answer is to look for a throttle connection, or put a new controller on.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Most controllers will have a connection for both, trace the pedelec sensor to its connector and see if there is a similar spare connector, sometimes the wiring may be the same colour. Probable that bikes with throttle 6km restriction will be programmed in the controllers pcb or may be adjustable on some lcd's if not as Alan says another controller will overcome the issue.
If you bike choice has no throttle then post a pic of the controller and wires some are easier then others to figure out, a decent replacement controller from a decent seller.will have wiring legend to confirm connections or it will have a down load to save.

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Did you know that the Hebrew Language has no semi colon ? Yet translations often contain this punctuation, rendering for example, the Song of Solomon at best inaccurate, or actually meaningless in parts. How do you feel about this ? Should we be concerned ? Or does it matter ? Are we 'up the creek without a paddle', or should we continue to peddle the notion that bikes should be pedalled ?

• :D
Reactions: Keith Reeder

Advertisers