Crank creak Bosch cx motor

currymonster

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 20, 2013
hi all
Need a bit of advice from you technical chaps.
I have a cube reaction 400 less than a year old and it has slowly developed a creak from the crank on both sides, more noticeable on the left arm. It is slowly getting louder and becoming annoying.
A Local cube dealer has had a look and can't find the issue. It's not the pedals, the crank bolts or the internal bolts that hold the motor. They say it could be the sealed part of the Bosch motor but that needs sending back to the Netherlands.
Anyone else had issues on the Bosch motor? I found one thread but that seemed to be the internal mounting bolts of the motor.
Thanks

Tony Looker

Just Joined
May 15, 2016
Cheshire
hi all
I have a cube reaction 400 less than a year old and it has slowly developed a creak from the crank on both sides, more noticeable on the left arm. It is slowly getting louder and becoming annoying.
A Local cube dealer has had a look and can't find the issue. It's not the pedals, the crank bolts or the internal bolts that hold the motor. They say it could be the sealed part of the Bosch motor but that needs sending back to the Netherlands.
Anyone else had issues on the Bosch motor? I found one thread but that seemed to be the internal mounting bolts of the motor.
Thanks
I had similar noises from my Haibike urban with Bosch performance motor it was worse if I dropped down the gears, I tried to get it looked at under warranty without success because I purchased it in Europe anyway today I oiled the chain and the noises have stopped it surprised me because it wasn't that sort of noise ! Worth a try.

Regards

Tony

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
hi all
Thanks
Is there any play in the cranks? Hopefully not. Mine got noisy and I noticed some movement in the cranks. Just under two years old. Replacement motor from Bosch under warranty as bottom bracket bearings had gone!!
Never had one with that issue before!!......said the retailer!!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'd say that your dealer is incorrect, and that they might not have done their checks properly.

I'd suggest that you take the bike back to them, and request that they re check and tighten the motor mount bolts, and and re check the pedal crank bolts.

I very much doubt that a CX motor is going to suffer bearing failure within such a short space of time, and even if it had, the failure would not be a creak as you describe.

If you are anywhere close to me, I'd happily take a look for you.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
think the best tools for a new bike is a crank puller and the lock ring tool/spanner.

then can just diy, not like its even hard to do :)

currymonster

Mar 20, 2013
I had similar noises from my Haibike urban with Bosch performance motor it was worse if I dropped down the gears, I tried to get it looked at under warranty without success because I purchased it in Europe anyway today I oiled the chain and the noises have stopped it surprised me because it wasn't that sort of noise ! Worth a try.

Regards

Tony
It's still with the dealer hopefully they would of tried oiling the chain, but I will let them know thanks for the reply

currymonster

Mar 20, 2013
I'd say that your dealer is incorrect, and that they might not have done their checks properly.

I'd suggest that you take the bike back to them, and request that they re check and tighten the motor mount bolts, and and re check the pedal crank bolts.

I very much doubt that a CX motor is going to suffer bearing failure within such a short space of time, and even if it had, the failure would not be a creak as you describe.

If you are anywhere close to me, I'd happily take a look for you.
Thanks eddy appreciate that. About four hours away so a bit far. It's with a cube dealer at the moment so hoping they will get to the bottom of it. All that I have read indicates bolts on motor but they said they have checked them.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Sadly creaks can come from many places. I recall having one last year that I thought was coming from the pedal crank area, but after being driven mad by it, I eventually I tracked it down to the head set.

I'm certain that your issue is going to be just a simple to resolve. :)

Advertisers