Crown loses appeal

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
What a joke that sentence is.

A mate of mine was killed riding his motorcycle a year ago. The woman who pulled out on him without looking was given a six-month community order, a curfew (11pm to 7am) and a 12-month driving ban.
She also only had to pay £85 costs and £60 victim surcharge.

Life seems to be cheap if you're on two wheels.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
He clipped the back wheel.
Sort of unfortunate occurance could happen to anyone, especially a High Court Judge on his way home from the golf club and that's what must be borne in mind.
It's got nothing to do with the likes of us what Their Lordships get up to.
<tugs forelock furiously>

Richard_M

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Ely, East Englia.
He clipped the back wheel.
This is the kind of euphemism that excuses such driving. We do not get our wheel "clipped", we get our wheel stoved in and hit the deck. Just like we do not get knocked off. We get hit bloody hard with 2 tons and are lucky to survive.

As for "a momentary inattention", just where was Gary McCourt's attention at the time ?
Where you a bit distracted, old boy ?

As for a "low impact, low speed collision", that is all it took to kill Audrey Fyfe.
A five year ban and 300 hours of community service is a pathetic sentence.
This man has killed two people.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
This is the kind of euphemism that excuses such driving. We do not get our wheel "clipped", we get our wheel stoved in and hit the deck. Just like we do not get knocked off. We get hit bloody hard with 2 tons and are lucky to survive.

As for "a momentary inattention", just where was Gary McCourt's attention at the time ?
Where you a bit distracted, old boy ?

As for a "low impact, low speed collision", that is all it took to kill Audrey Fyfe.
A five year ban and 300 hours of community service is a pathetic sentence.
This man has killed two people.
Well, he didn't set out to kill anyone, and I'm sure the judges know more about the weight of evidence than you do - or me, for that matter.
One thing I'm not comfortable with, is the likes of roadcc, where the braying donkeys come out in force calling for the head of any hapless sod who has the misfortune to knock anyone off.
The fact of that bloke being responsible for the death of another cyclist, is neither here nor there. It was nearly 30 years ago. Get a grip.

HittheroadJ

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2010
Northern Ireland, BT1
What are the implications of "Despite the sheriff's error in treating the fact that Mrs Fyfe was not wearing a cycle helmet as a mitigatory factor, we are unable to say that the sentence of a community payback order with the maximum number of unpaid hours was unduly lenient."?

Advertisers