soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

should be good for a few miles :p

Reactions: thelarkbox

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
and that with also the extra waight kills any hi powerd bikes esp for distance and speed you cant have both yet.

you can get a 1000bhp plus electric motors :p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
at 70mph you wont be going very far like all of them m8s 1000w bafang can drain his 20ah batt in 17 miles with just the throttle.

his seat tube frame is now also cracked :oops:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Looks like it have soft underbelly.
Looks like it is going to be loud.
Loos super cool.
One can't help, but as a question: what is it for?

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
I was initially interested, but when that spawned ads aimed at hipsters with a design fetish i lost the rose coloured specs.. i cant help wanting a powerpack 1/4 the size of a 4 wheel ev when paying basically 1/4 the price for a single motor vehicle. As batteries are always blamed for the higher cost of the ev's..

After all m/cycle parts for all size bikes exist in tried and tested forms off the shelf. and given 1/4 the powerpack and a significantly lower payload mass to carry and smaller motor to supply 70-80%+
of the range of your basic 30k ev should be an easy target to hit..

Well thats my non engineering background lay reasoning behind my 2 wheel e-m/bike expectations which have not been met.. yet..

no doubt im shooting wide of the barn on one if not all aspects.. and im not really in the market for an e-m/bike, but if an expectation matching model arrives on the horizon i may start rationalising..

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
we need small high power batts that can pump out 300a non stop and for 50 miles and last 10000 charge cycles.

problem is if this was to ever come out means less profit for the corporations so just put a computer system in it that you can turn off dont sell parts and in 5 years just throw it in to the bin and buy a new one for 60k :D

rolls Royce is even worse they wont sell you any part for any car even if it could be fixed its a fkn joke :rolleyes:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Well thats my non engineering background lay reasoning behind my 2 wheel e-m/bike expectations which have not been met.. yet..

no doubt im shooting wide of the barn on one if not all aspects.. and im not really in the market for an e-m/bike, but if an expectation matching model arrives on the horizon i may start rationalising..
How about?

Eventually you can have a look at high powered, but still legal motors sold by Woosh.

Or a speed pedelec if 25km/h is not enough for you

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i can hit nearly 40mph on my bike but that means range is only 25 miles on the flat if i hammer it going 120rpm at the cranks.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I'd rather they developed something that goes at 15mph and has a massive range, or really high torque for use in touring or cargo bikes. This need for speed isnt the best set up unless its going to be designed around replacing motorbikes.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
When Bumble Bee sent a radio distress signal to Cybertron it took 47 seconds for the radio frequency to reach his friends transmitter. Remember a radio signal has no mass so can travel at the speed of light. If the director was trying to give us clues, then Cybertron is 8,742,000 miles away from Earth

not going to work at 15mph :rolleyes:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
When I commuted to work and back on my 2015 Haibike Yamaha it could assist above the legal speed cut off.

I only used this ability to ride with assistance at a higher speed riding home from work late at night after my shift on an undulating 10 mile B road route. At the time I was riding there was very little traffic.

I generally averaged 20 mph completing the 10 mile journey in half an hour.

Averaging 20 mph I was not riding the bike as fast as it could possible go, but balancing speed with battery consumption. From memory I consumed 40% of my 400 Wh battery. More in the Winter.

Riding the same route I got to know where I needed to add higher assistance to maintain speeds that would allow me to get home in half an hour at my targeted 20 mph average.

But on the flat, slightly up slightly down sections I used low assist and enjoyed pedalling hard to maintain 20 to 24mph, getting plenty of exercise.

So if you use the gradients and are prepared to pedal hard on a bike that can assist at higher speeds you can actually maintain 20mph plus on low assist. That is what I found.

It would be too complex to ever happen, but the law could be changed to allow unrestricted speeds in low assist and restricted speeds in all the other higher assist levels.

I commuted like this for five years and am still using my original Yamaha 400 Wh battery that still performs very well, so averaging 20 mph for five years did not adversely effect my battery.

Last edited:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Cheers @Az. But for urban travel im happy on the ol boneshaker Most trips are fine to cycle out on requiring power for the return only now the novelty of ebike travel has worn off.

higher speeds on my bike are not comfortable, I have a substantial mass and rim brakes.. so pre ebike conversion 8-12mph was fine.. still way faster than a bus into town

An affordable 2 wheel solution for mid to long range travel is what i could be tempted by tho..

Advertisers